Tutor
19 15 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 13.3 4k screen issues

HP SPECTRE X360 13.3 4K
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a HP SPECTRE 13.3" 4k version about couple of days ago, and I realize that the screen sometimes flicker or goes to black for no apparent reason. And at times when I'm using Thunderbird mail and google chrome, the lag is a unbearable, takes a few seconds for the mouse to go to the destination I wanted it to go.

Is this a hardware or a software problems?

Please help!

17 REPLIES 17
Provost Provost
Provost
44,908 40,593 4,392 11,367
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I highly recommend using the HP PC Hardware diagnostics that your unltrabooik was delivered with.

Press the power button and then tap the Esc key. That will invoke a startup menu. In the startup menu press the F2 key to invoke the HP PC Hardware diagnostics.

Run the system tests.

Beside your subject line, I notice that you mentioned nothing further about a screen issue.

Your ultrabook has a touchpad and a cursor, not a mouse, unless you have connected on to a USB port.

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Charles35T Tutor
Tutor
19 15 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

I have the 2017 Spectre x360 13.3" 4k model, the 2in1, every time i press the power button on the side, it only puts the laptop to sleep, then i would have to wake it again. Is there any other way to access the hardware diagnostic?

You're right, I meant the cursor and everything on screen just lags. and takes a second to move the cursor.. I don't know what's happening

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a Spectre x360 13t-a00x product loan.

There is a complete product number and product name on the bottom of the notebook. 

Please post it, or both of  them, here in your thread.

Does your ultrabook charge completely?

What color is the charge led?  If it is white, then it has completely charged.

If your ultrabook does not even get through the BIOS POST, which is what you have described, then there is no way to get to the hardware diagnostics.

I do not understand what you have tried to say in the following quoted statement. Please rephrase it.

"every time i press the power button on the side, it only puts the laptop to sleep, then i would have to wake it again"

If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Charles35T Tutor
Tutor
19 15 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PRODUCT NUMBER : 13ac033dx

It does not have a product name. It says; Contains Intel Radio Model #, SCT #, Model #, SN, and Product ID.

"every time i press the power button on the side, it only puts the laptop to sleep, then i would have to wake it again" - it puts the computer to sleep mode. Do I need to switch it off and on again? Then before the log in screen, press F2? 

Thank you for your help by the way. I really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How about reading my previous post one more time and answering the question?

Answering selectively is what really slows down the troubleshooting by wasting our time.

I won't repeat the question.

If you don't see a question in my previous post that was asked and not answered by you, I will move along to another thread.

0 Kudos
Charles35T Tutor
Tutor
19 15 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

"Press the power button and then tap the Esc key. That will invoke a startup menu. In the startup menu press the F2 key to invoke the HP PC Hardware diagnostics.

Run the system tests."

I managed toj run HP PC Hardware diagnostics, by powering up and pressing F2, it was a quick test, everything passed.

Does your ultrabook charge completely?
What color is the charge led? If it is white, then it has completely charged.

Yes, to my knowledge it does charge completely, it says on the battery icon on the bottom right. But I don't think I'm getting the 12 hours it was promised, not even 8 hours.

Charge led is white when it is fully charge. 

The screen just goes to black then back again, then black then back again. Then it'll stop until I turn off the computer, and it'll happen when i turn the computer back on. It mostly happens during the first 10mins of the computer being on.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Invoke the PC Hardware Diagnostics and test the memory modules.

There is a free utility called WhoCrashed?.  It is safe to download and use.

http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

You can use it to analyze Windows own crash dump logs to see whether the cause of the display issue is hardware or software related.

0 Kudos
Charles35T Tutor
Tutor
19 15 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Invoke the PC Hardware Diagnostics and test the memory modules. PASSED

This is the report from WhoCrashed

Computer name: CTHPSPECTRE
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14393
Windows dir: C:\windows
Hardware: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ac0XX, HP, 827E
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 17055526912 bytes total

Crash dump directory: C:\windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. In case you are experiencing system crashes, it may be that crash dumps are prevented from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK.

Try updating the graphics driver. Take a look at the HP download web document at the support portal for your notebook.  Do not install drivers from other sources.

I do suggest that you go into System settings > Power Options and ensure that pressing the power button when on AC and battery is set to what you want it to do.

It is a default for a Windows notebook to sleep when you are logged in and press the power button.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation