Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

2 days ago I started it up and windows login screen appears. I can enter my password and it authenticates then screen goes black. mouse works fine, can get to task manager using ctrl-alt-del. 

black screen remains for about 8 mins. and desktop then appears. 

I have followed recommendations to default BIOS, remove McCaffee etc. still to no avail. used hp assistant to install all updates, still not resolution. 

Grumpy as hell, as I purchased this instead of a macbook 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Had same issue - below procedure should get you going again until a fix is issued

Type in msconfig
Open system configuration
Go to services tab
Disable app readiness
Do a restart

Windows update appears to have broken the boot

Glenn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Had same issue - below procedure should get you going again until a fix is issued

Type in msconfig
Open system configuration
Go to services tab
Disable app readiness
Do a restart

Windows update appears to have broken the boot

Glenn

HP Recommended
Excellent. This works for me. Thanks for that ! Happy camper again !
HP Recommended
Thanks a stack for that !
HP Recommended

Resolving the black screen issue caused by Windows 10 update

If you have previously disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Click Start and type Services
  3. Open desktop app Services and find App Readiness
  4. Open the service and set Startup type to Manual
  5. Click Apply and close the window
  6. Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  7. Reboot PC

If you have not disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and desktop to load
  3. Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  4. Reboot PC
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended
This helped thank you. It would be great if HP could send emails rather than the user searching on the Internet why the laptop isn't working. Just wasted 2hrs.
HP Recommended
But how do you boot the HP Spectre 360 laptop? Starting and hitting Fn F11 repeatedly, as HP forums suggest, doesn't work. Please advise.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.