Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (872 Views)

HP Spectre x360 - 13-w063nr docking station

Product Name: Spectre x360 - 13-w063nr
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need a dual-display docking station that supports Display Port to connect to the newest HP Spectre x360 - 13-w063nr. I'm using the Spectre as a portable work station, so I need it to disconnect easily from the two monitors. Does anyone have suggestions about a docking station? I would need a brand name and model number of the docking station.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 5 (852 Views)

Re: HP Spectre x360 - 13-w063nr docking station

Hi,

Your machine does not have docking port therefore all you can do is to use USB port replicators (vendoes also call them a docking srations). To disconnect monitors all you need is to pull out the USB.

Please check the following list:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/docking-stations-142510--1

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Provost
Message 3 of 5 (849 Views)

[ Edited ]

Consumer notebooks from HP no longer have a compatible "snap down" type docking station. The best you can do is use a "port replicator". Your laptop is representative of the latest hardware and you can use the USB-C aka Thunderbolt 3 port as the incoming attachment. HP makes a Zbook dock but it has a unique power jack that your laptop cannot use. They make a travel usb-C port replicator but it does not have dual display port and will not charge the laptop. 

So you have to go 3rd party, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Strongrr-Universal-Monitors-Resolution-2048x1152/dp/B01J2L5CTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=...

It does not have 2 DP ports but you could attach a dual DP adapter to one of the USB-C ports on the dock, or 2 single DP adapters, one to each USB-C port on the dock. USB-C aka Thunderbolt 3 is able to daisy chain devices quite effectively.

It is a powered port replicator/dock so would charge the laptop through the laptop USB-C port. So all you would have to do is connect a single USB-C from the dock to the laptop and have everything else connected to the dock. Connect it while the laptop is running and set up the displays and power management to just allow you to close the lid on the laptop and image still displaying on the 2 monitors or use the laptop as a third display.

As stated by @banhien, HP offers some docks but of the ones on the page he links, only the Iogear model would be appropriate:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/accessories-88342--1/iogear-docking-station-4j0239

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (839 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks. That is helpful, but what I really need is a recommendation for a third party docking station that has a Display Port and is compatible with the newest Spectre. The docking station you suggested does not have a Display port. That would be the best solution for me. Thanks for all your help.

Provost
Message 5 of 5 (833 Views)

[ Edited ]

The iogear sold by HP does have a DP port. It's $250 and the one I linked could have DP ports added with a USB-C to DP adapter:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/accessories-88342--1/iogear-docking-station-4j0239

Even with that one you would need to use a DP hub or some way to get a second DP port. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation