Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 - 15-df0068nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Looking to pick one of these up wit the i7-8565U (Intel 620 iGPU) w/ MX 150 (dGPU). This is the 15" model from last year.

What I really need to know is if external monitor connections through the HDMI and TB3 work on the iGPU. I ask because I usually disable the dGPU in Ubuntu: it doesn't get any use and it tends to run hotter with it enabled. I currently have a ThinkPad X1 Extreme and this is the case: when I use the Intel 630 iGPU, external monitors no longer work because HDMI and TB3 video goes through the GTX 1050 Ti. Pretty lame and why I am looking for a new laptop.

Can anyone confirm either from first had experience or wouldn't mind testing for me?

It is pretty simple in Windows:

1. Hook up to an external monitor with HDMI or TB3

2. Make sure video is being output to it

3. Go to Device Manger

4. Go To Display Adapters

5. Right-click on the dGPU

6. Select "Disable Device"

If the external monitor quits receiving video, then the laptop only sends HDMI and TB3 video through the dGPU. The laptop screen will stay on since it uses both the dGPU and iGPU. Enable the device again and it will start working.

From what I understand, on the 8705G model, video goes through both the iGPU and dGPU, so hoping this is the case with the 8565U as well.

Thanks for the help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.