PalletJim Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Spectre x360 External Monitor Display is blurry

HP Spectre 15-bl000 x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My company just purchased me a new laptop which I used both at my office and while on the road.  I selected the Spectre x360 15T because of it's performance and it's ability to be used as a tablet while in the field.

First off, the laptop's resolution on the screen is awesome.  I love that.  However, the laptop screen will be used maybe 10% of the time.  The bulk of my work is done at the desk where I have (2) external monitors.  They are ViewSonic VA2248M-LED, Model VS13818.  Our IT department has an HDMI port addapter hooked to the computer when it's at my desk.  The displays on the external monitors are very blurry.  I'm not sure how the resolution when hooked to my 8 year old computer is crystal clear yet when using my brand new one, it is so bad.

Is this a driver issue for Windows 10?  Is it the HDMI output?  These were not an issue on the old laptop.  This seems like it should be an easy fix but our IT department is lost.  I need some help.

Thanks,

PalletJim

3 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12239 821 1450
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

Hi @PalletJim,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that the display on the external monitors is blurry.

I'll be glad to help you :)

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• Have you tried connecting the monitor directly to the computer using the HDMI cable?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you download and install the monitor drivers on the computer and check if it helps.

If the issue persists, I recommend you update the graphics driver and bios from the below link and test.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Good day! Take care :)

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Neil1103 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

Did any find resolution to this as having same issue 

I tired updating the driver fior view sonic mointor and graphics card on laptop 

0 Kudos
PalletJim Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

@Neil1103wrote:

Did any find resolution to this as having same issue 

I tired updating the driver fior view sonic mointor and graphics card on laptop 

Actually, we did.  The issue is that the drivers for the Laptop itself are designed to run at high resolution since the screen itself supports 5k playback.  There is also some Windows 10 issues with older monitors such as mine.  Just adding a HDMI adapter is not going to help.  So we needed something to bridge the gap.

We bought a plugable brand USB-C Docking Station which is designed for Triple Monitors plug in (they don't make a dual...single or triple are your options).  I'd add a link but I'm pretty sure links are not permitted in the forum.  You can just check plugable's website or even check on Amazon and you'll find it.  On Amazon, just type "plugable triple display" and the first one you see is the one we bought.  It's $179.00.  Anyway, not only does this "dock" provide up to three monitor output display capability, it also has "DisplayLink" that is Plug and Display enabled.  Once you hook your monitors to the display, it will detect them and either download the appropriate drivers to the dock or will already have them loaded and apply them accordingly.  Another bonus is that with a USB-C to USB cable, you have a singular clean connection from the laptop to the dock that not only caries the data (network, video, audio, etc) but also power.  Took me some research but apparently the new USB-C technology is a two-way connection for data and power.  So your USB-C is your network docking connection AND your power cord which continuously keeps your laptop powered and you don't have to use the factory provided power cord to keep it charged.  That cord you can keep permanently in your computer bag for when you travel!!  Good stuff.

At any rate, the images on the remote monitors are now as clear as they were with my old laptop.  Remember:  the images on the remote monitors can only display their maximum display resolution they are built for (1920x1080 in my case) which if yours are like mine are certainly much lower than the laptop's (3840x2160 native).  If you want higher resolution, you'll need to pay some serious $ to upgrade your monitors.  It took me a bit to set the order and resolution displays for each monitor and the laptop, so they worked correctly but it all works great now. 

One tip:  when you disconnect your laptop from the monitors, it will kind of lose that "order" that you've set up.  When you hook the USB-C back to the laptop you'll have to drag the appropriate windows start bar (the dark bar at the bottom of the screen with your quick launch icons) from one monitor to the other to reorder them but it's very quick and you don't have to go into the settings each time.  Oh, another thing.  I have mine set up so that the laptop is closed and thus makes my remote monitors as the only displays (dual display).  You can open the laptop and have triple displays but it's not comfortable for me, so I don't. 

It took me a while to figure this out but when powering up your laptop, you'll need to open the lid.  It won't power up with the screen closed (safety feature so that doesn't happen while in a bag and overheat the laptop) and there is no work around for this even in the BIOS as this is a mechanical trigger built into the laptop itself and is unique to each manufacturer, not in Windows.  When powering up, once the HP logo screen pops up, you can simply close it and your displays will switch over to dual vs. triple.

And finally, if you're taking your laptop traveling and may need to plug into an external monitor, conference room display, hotel internet, etc, it’s a good idea to get a USB-C travel hub.  Invaluable. Almost no peripherals are USB-C compatible as of now.  

I've attached a picture of what I have at my desk now.  The only drawback is that the outputs are multiple styles.  (2) HDMI and (1)DVA.  The monitor cables in the picture belowhave adapters on the back to match up to the appropriate outputs.  I'd recommend spending the extra $20 per cable and getting the correct ones with the appropriate ends already part of the cable vs. adapters.  This is what IT had and gave me.  With as much as was already invested, I didn't make a production about it.

Hopefully this helps.

Dock.jpg

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation