Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Good news…

The latest Intel® UHD Graphics 630 driver from Intel, version 27.20.100.8783 dated 9/24/2020, seems to solve the issue. I had 2 unsuccessful installations reporting “driver already installed” before it installed OK this morning.

I’m not sure if the NVida driver is relevant, but the version I have installed on my now fully functional PC/Docking combination is version 27.21.14.5638 dated 9/14/2020.

HP Recommended

Is your system still working? I have the same laptop, a brand new HP Spectre x360 15" convertible with the HP USB-C Dock G5. I updated the drivers according with your post, but an external monitor is still not recognized when connected to the dock. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Yes, it is still working, both for me and a customer of mine I helped with this issue : Some additional info:
My "Intel® UHD Graphics 630" driver is version 27.20.100.8783 dated 9/24/2020 and downloaded/installed using "Intel Driver & Support Assistant".
The Intel driver alone is not sufficient. You have to update the NVida driver. The NVida driver I use is the Nvida Studio Driver 456.38 dated 09/17/2020 downloaded from NVida. First, I downloaded "Geforce Experience", and then I had to create an account at NVida to be able to download the actual driver. 

As a side note - the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design" driver reported by "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" is version 27.21.14.5638 dated 9/14/2020.  I had that one too, for a couple of weeks while the problem persisted. So I think the two drivers I mention first are the crucial ones.

Hope you are able to solve this with the information provided.

HP Recommended

I had a different NVIDIA driver (Game Ready 456.71), so I installed the NVIDIA Studio driver 456.38, as you have. I already had the Intel UHD driver 27.20.100.8783.

It did not fix the problem, as the external monitor is still not detected (I don't think it is getting any signal from the dock). Just to make sure, I'd like to compare my setup with yours:

I have:

- Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, OS build 19041.572

- BIOS: AMI F.07 6/16/2020

- same Intel UHD Graphics driver and NVIDIA driver as you do

- power to the laptop is via the USB-C connector from the dock (no laptop external power adapter connected)

- external monitor has 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution and uses HDMI (so I can plug it either in the dock or laptop, for testing). By the way, using the DisplayPort (the monitor has both ports) does not make a difference, i.e. the external monitor is still not driven by the dock.

- dock USB-A ports and Ethernet port work as expected, i.e. no problems there.

Please let me know your Windows and BIOS versions. Also, how is your external monitor connected to the dock and do you use the laptop power adapter in addition to the USB-C power?

I also assume your dock USB-C cable is connected directly to one of the two USB-C ports of the laptop.

Do  you know the firmware version for your docking station? Mine was updated to 1.0.9.0 (from 1.0.7.0) as soon as I received, following instructions in its manual.

At this point, I think my dock may be defective and plan to ask HP for a replacement.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Hi,

Looks like our systems are pretty identical. You have probably been through all of this, but here is everything I can think of:

Windows 10 Professional, Version (Build) 2004 (10.0.19041).

BIOS is F.22, dated 06/01/2020.

G5 Docking has firmware version 1.0.9.0. USB ports and Network port are in use and are working. Power is attached to the docking (not the laptop). Docking is attached to the port in the corner of my laptop. That’s the only port in use on the laptop.

My Monitor, a Samsung 4K, is connected to the G5 dock via HDMI.

Display setup (rightclick desktop+Display) lets me identify both internal and external monitor correctly. I use the “Extend desktop” option (Win+P).

Make sure your monitor isn’t locked to a video port different from what you actually use.

Make sure you have all available drivers from both Intel Driver and support assistant + HP Support assistant installed. I have everything updated.

If you have changed the monitor signal, make sure you are on a resolution + refreshrate your external monitor actually supports.

A docking replacement might be the solution in your case. I tend to think there are software issues causing things like this, but one never knows for sure.

HP Recommended

I agree that a software issue is more likely than a docking hardware problem, however it may be worth a try to replace the docking station, given that I have already attempted most everything else.

Only thing that jumps out from your setup description is the BIOS. Where did you get that version? According to my laptop System Information, my BIOS is: AMI F.07, dated 6/16/2020.

Everything else is the same, as far as I can tell. Even my monitor is a Samsung 4K.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

So HP sent me a replacement docking station and the prolem persists, I was told by HP it is a known driver issue and that you have to completely wipe the operating system and reload the operating sytem from scratch.

They sent me a USB drive with the oeprating system.... wish me luck

HP Recommended

Well so much for that, they want me to back up all my files and aren't willing to pay the additional fees for the back up....  can't understand how this is happening, I have HP everything and somehow HP are telling me it's not their fault and taking very little responsibility for the issue. I pay for the premium support package with them as well so God only knows what the service would be like if I didn't.

HP Recommended

I am not ready to  "completely wipe the operating system and reload the operating system from scratch" on a brand new laptop. If you say it is not dock hardware (i.e. your replacement dock acted the same as the first one), then a different docking solution from a different company may be in order. I have been reading about the Caldigit TS3 Plus and it seems pretty good.

I assume the HP Spectre x360 15" convertible laptop supports Thunderbolt 3 protocol on its two USB-C ports. Is it correct? The manual seems somewhat ambiguous about it (... certain models support Thunderbolt....).

HP Recommended

This issue is caused by the newer NVidia Drivers.

You can solve this by doing the following:-

Go to the following Nvidia driver download page where you can download older drivers.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Set the search for your card which is probably GTX 1050ti 64bit,  Set Windows Driver type to DCH and then search.

I scrolled to the bottom and downloaded version 441.87 from Jan20 (which works), but newer ones may also work.

Install the driver once downloaded (it will warn you that this is an old driver, install anyway).

Reboot, then plug your USB C Dock back in and it should work.  It did for me.

Keep the downloaded driver as Windows or HP will no doubt auto-update the driver at some stage and stop the USB video output working again.

Hope this works for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.