Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Very interesting. I am going to give it a try. I am currently experimenting with the Caldigit TS3 Plus, but it also has some different issues, such as not being able to provide power to the laptop via the USB-C port.

However, how I am not sure about how to do this: "Keep the downloaded driver as Windows or HP will no doubt auto-update the driver at some stage and stop the USB video output working again"? 

I appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

Thanks, glad this worked for you but it didn't work for me.

HP Recommended

I did not work for me either☹️

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue now as well after installing a series of updates on my Spectre.  I have tried current drivers as well as the old ones from the NVIDIA website to no avail.  I have also updated the Intel UHD driver to the current version and have updated the dock itself to the most recent firmware (1.0.9.0 Rev.A dated Jun 29, 2020).

The docks have been working fine since July until the updates were installed in the last couple days.  Some help from HP would be appreciated.

Update: After all of the firmware updates, I switched the dock from the diagonal USB-C port on the back right corner to the one on the side beside the USB-A connector and my monitors connected and appear to be working fine.  Still not sure what happened to video through the diagonal port.

HP Recommended

Latest updates: HP sent me a USB stick to fully wipe my laptop, I wasn't happy about this but they told me it would work.... The USB stick they sent me failed and they then wanted me to reset windows (again)..... I've had to escalate now to a case manager but it looks extremely likely that they are going to need to start from scratch.

I am going to push for compensation from HP, has anyone had success in doing something similar?

HP Recommended

At this point I have to say that HP Tech Support and Customer Service really leave a lot to be desired. While they are working with you RobKim on the assumption the this Dock can really be made to work with their HP Spectre x360 laptop (which it really should, given the advertised "Designed with universal compatibility in mind, this dock works with both HP and non-HP USB-C™- and Thunderbolt™-enabled notebooks"), they told me, after countless hours on the phone with different reps, that the HP USB-C Dock G5 definitely is not compatible with the Spectre, because it is not a business laptop, and asked me to get a refund for it.

Why such an inconsistent response from HP?

Obviously  some of you have found out that the Dock and the Spectre can play together well, so some of their design engineers could make an effort to figure out the problem with some of the setups that don't seem to work and come up with a solution. My Spectre x360 is only a month old, so whatever broke the functionality was already baked in and I never saw it working with this Dock (originally recommended to me by HP).

HP Recommended

So the incompatability would be a lot more believable had it not been working for the 6 months preceeding the update.

In another update and after escalating to HP they agreed to service repair, in fairness the process was pretty good, I was only without my laptop for about 4 days. However when HP proudly returned the laptop and I fired it up, firstly they had logged is a new HP admin account which I'm sure is fixable but a bit lazy that they kept that profile logged in.

Definitely worse though is that the problem has not been fixed, I've tried it with the 2 G5 docks I now have thanks to previous repairs and still no ability to use even a single monitor through the G5 dock.... I am convinced HP have no idea how to fix this problem and it could be a driver & dock issue at this point.

HP Recommended

Yep, they are being clueless. The fact that many many Spectre X360 users virtually simultaneously started having problems with not-only docks, but also with USB hubs, tells us immediately that this is not an issue of compatibility with a particular piece of hardware -- it's driver-level, and if there is a hardware issue it is with the Spectre X360, not with whatever dock/hub you are using.

Thankfully with my desk setup I only use one external monitor, so while HDMI over the USB-C hub is more convenient, I have been able to just switch to using the laptop's HDMI-out port.  But this is getting a bit embarassing for HP now -- 12 weeks on and they still haven't worked this out 🙄

HP Recommended

Hi,

I went to a different customer today, with a HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15df1xxx, without HP dock since August.

He had purchased a cheap USB-to-HDMI dongle which actually worked. The difference here is that this dongle used the “old” USB port on the laptop. This device came up as a Display Link device. Two external monitors were in use – one directly into the HDMI on the laptop, and the second via the USB2-dongle. But he wanted the original solution with the HP dock working, so he wanted to give it a try.

I used the same steps as last time I did this successfully:

Downloaded and installed “Intel® Driver & Support Assistant” from this link:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28425/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant

I let Intel® Driver & Support Assistant scan the laptop for updated drivers. It came up with 3 different (BlueTooth, WiFi and Intel Graphics). I only downloaded and installed the “Intel Graphics – Windows 10 DCH Drivers”. During this process, I got the usual warning that original HP drivers could be more suited and should be preferred to the Intel drivers. I ignored this warning and installed the Intel driver.

As a test, I did a check to see if I had the docking working already. That was a negative - same problem as before.

I downloaded and installed the Geforce Experience from Nvida from this link:
https://www.nvidia.com/nb-no/geforce/geforce-experience/ (might be different in a different locale)

Inside Geforce Experience, I selected the Drivers tab, and I changed my preferences to prefer studio driver (might not be relevant) and selected download. During this process, I had to create an account at Nvida before I could download the driver.

Did a shutdown (power off) of the laptop and for good measure, unplugged the power in the docking (this last should absolutely be of no relevance).

Powered the laptop back on, and both monitors came online via the HP dock.

So this was a success – again, and the fourth time I personally performed this fix. Therefore, I’m wondering why so many other of you can’t get the HP dock working again. Are you confusing the Intel driver and support assistant with HP support assistant (the latter will only get HP drivers, unable to support video over the HP docking)? Also, speaking of Nvida, this is not by HP, its directly from Nvida. After this you will have replaced the original HP drivers with the Intel one and the Nvida one.

Hope this can be of help for anyone.

HP Recommended

Einarimente, the only difference in my case seems to be the Spectre x360 Convertible laptop. Its model number is 15t-eb000 touch.

I took exactly the same steps you did, but no joy for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.