Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
zbook 14u G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

TLDR: Can the dedicated graphics card be set as default (if the notebook is plugged in)?

Hello,

I have connected my zbook via an USB-C to HDMI cable to a 4k monitor.  Now the computer is a bit laggy and it reports a high integrated graphic cards usage of around 70%. Altough only Firefox is running (there are no videos playing in firefox). Here are two screenshots from the task manager (sorry they are in german):

2018-11-06 11_26_46-Task-Manager.png2018-11-06 11_27_35-Task-Manager.png

Is there a setting to use the dedicated graphics card as default (instead of the integrated graphics card)? Preferably only if the notebook is plugged in?

Additional Information

Dedicated graphics card: AMD Radeon PRO WX3100

AMD Driver: win10-64bit-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-18.q3.1-oct1

Integrated graphics card: Intel UHD Graphics 620

BIOS graphic card setting: Hybrid Graphics

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Right-click an unused area on the desktop whilke logged into Windows.

You should see a menu popup that shows Intel Grahics setting and AMD Radeon settings.

Click on the AMD Radeon settings and under preferred graphics processor, select the high performance Radeon processor.

That will be your global graphics processor setting.

You can select the graphics processor to use with specific programs that you have installed.

The only auto switching between processor feature selection I am aware of  is when choosing the power profile for the Intel Graphics processor.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Which AMD Radeon Driver Software are you referring to? Radeon Pro Enterprise 18.Q3.1 doesn't seem to have such a setting. The only related settings I could find was under System > Switchable Graphics:

2018-11-07 11_39_32-RADEON PRO AND AMD FIREPRO SETTINGS.pngThere it is possible to set the modes "Power Saving"/"High Performance"/"Based on Power Source" per app. However, some apps are locked.

HP Recommended

At the bottom right, click on advanced.  That is likely to be where you can choose a default graphics solution.

Here is a resource page for the AMD Radeon Pro software.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-pro-software-settings

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

It seems this feature is not avaiable for the WX 3100 graphics card. When I click on "Advanced" a warning appears that says "Radeon Additional Settings cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using Radeon Additional Settings."

I think I'll have to try my luck with the Intel or AMD customer service.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Same issue here with a ZBook 15u G5 with pretty much the same configuration as yours. What ever I configure in the AMD Radeon Pro settings; I won't switch to the Radeon. I've manually added the executables for certain software to force the GFX switch, enabled High Performance mode, nothing works.Screenshot_4.pngScreenshot_5.png

HP Recommended

Any resolve to this? My and a few others laptops have abysmal performance and 0 dedicated gpu usage.

HP Recommended

Sadly not.

HP Recommended

I fixed this by removing all the HP drivers and graphics related software and downloaded the compatible drivers from AMD directly. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.