Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-aw0600nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I just bought the HP Spectre x360 - 13-aw0600nd and I have a problem with the (also new) HP tilt pen.

The pen was not provided with the laptop but bought separately. I have installed the HP tilt pen driver for windows 10 v1903 with HP Support Assistant. my own version of windows 10 is up to date and at version 1909. all drivers and software are updated according to the HP Support Assistant.

I have tried the tilt pen in my drawing app Clip Studio Paint Pro, Microsoft Paint and OneNote. in Clip Studio Paint, the pen does not exhibit pressure sensitivity and in all 3 the apps you have to press very hard on the tilt pen to get it to write and it skips when you let off even a bit of pressure.

The HP tilt pen does show a cursor and you can use it as a stylus with the touch screen to click on things, although you have to press very hard (which makes me scared for scratches on the screen in the future)

While setting up, I followed https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-tilt-pen/19133801/document/c06289197 about Set Up and Using the HP Tilt Pen. 
The support page https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-tilt-pen/19133801/document/c04706945 about what to do when Touch Screen Stylus Pen Is Inaccurate or Stops Working did not help.
The HP Pen Control app only lets me adjust button shortcuts and displays a different HP pen than the tilt pen.
The 13" aw0000 series should be tilt pen compatible according to the HP website.

How do I get the pressure sensitivity working in my drawing app?

additional information

laptop serial no. [edit]

laptop product no. 8RS47EA#ABH

tilt pen serial no. 3CB95109GV

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@ChibiFelicia Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the HP tilt pen - No pressure sensitivity.

As you have stated that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@ChibiFilicia, I just got my new spectre x360 13-aw0371, and it has exactly the same issue. The pen works, but only when pressing pretty hard. As such, writing normally isn't really possible, and leaves little dots and breaks in the line everywhere.

Were you able to find anything from the phone support?

HP Recommended

For me with my drawing programs, I had to double-check that the drawing program's stylus settings were set for a "tablet PC" instead of "drawing tablet"(Clip Studio Paint has that setting under preferences and now has correct pressure sensitivity, but Medibang paint for example doesn't, so the pen doesn't work there).

I don't know what writing program you are using?

Doing that, combined with reinstalling the pen driver from the HP website and restarting the computer solved the problem for me.

HP Recommended

Any fixes yet? I have been though 2 HP laptops and 3  HP pens, and none of them have worked.

I spoke with about 5 HP technicians and none of them had any answers or even knew which pens work with which laptops.

There is no clear info on the HP website, or product pages, no easily accessible data. 

Its like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing..

It's a complete mess. 

You have an amazing piece of technology here, that has so much potential. 

HP Recommended

@onionface

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • What is the model of the pen you're using on your notebook and HP pen?

I would like to inform you that, there are no settings to change the pen sensitivity, however, you can calibrate the pen.

• Go to the control panel.
  • In the search box type in Pen.
  • Click on the Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input.
  • Calibrate your active pen. 

The HP Active Stylus does not support any levels of pressure sensitivity. You could check with other manufacturers who might have the option to adjust the sensitivity.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there is no possible way for you to fix this or give a solution.

The pens I have had  never worked, at all.

I had three different pens and two laptops - which HP said would work together, but didn't. 

There is no Pen app provided by HP but there is one provided by windows, however, the tilt pen I have, which cost around 75 euros is not supported - so I can't even program the button,

The windows ink calibration is utterly laughable, and completely useless, it does not allow me to set the buttons or sensitivity.

There is no documentation on the HP website. why?

The product page for my pen says it has no drivers - yet another HP page I found offered a driver/patch for the pen. why?

There exists no naming convention for the pens so nobody knows which pen works with which laptop.  why?

HP themselves advertise laptops as working with active pens but do not. why?

The HP pen app os not supplied by HP. why?

the HP pen app does not support all HP pens. why?

Hp has taken the most simple thing and made is extremely confusing and complicated. 

Got an ipad - get an apple pencil

Got a surface - get a surface pen.

Got an HP - ...... LOL, good luck!

The only way you can help is to - make all hp pens work with all x360 laptops or have a very clear and simple naming convention, EG: got a spectre - get a spectre pen. got an Envy - get an Envy pen... so easy. And supply one pen app that includes all drivers and setting for all your pens - when you've done that - you've solved my issue.

HP Recommended

@onionface

Thank you for posting back.

This sounds like hardware related issue with the HP Pen. Hence, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, it's an issue with HP as a company. 

There is no unification or plan when it comes to the HP pens and laptops.

HP doesn't even offer an app for their pens - that should tell you all you need to know.

There is no naming convention for the pens.

There is no compatibility chart.

A customer should not have to dig through pages of forums and help centers to find out which HP pen will work with an HP laptop. That is a complete failure!

Whoever is in charge of this mess should be fired. 

Please stop passing off all user complaints to other agents and help centers - rather get on the phone, get emailing and let the people in charge know they need to fix this mess. Else nothing will change.

HP Recommended

@onionface

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP and you will be contacted as earliest possible.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.