Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360-15t-df000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm not able to use my touchpad. My mouse pad stopped working suddenly. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Synaptic driver, I tried installing the latest version of the driver and even then my touchpad isn't working. A while ago, after few restarts it used to work before and now it doesn't work even after restarts. What do I do? How do I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mystic_Grey,

I recommend you download and install the below chipset driver and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96855.exe

If you continue facing the issue, then uninstall the touchpad driver from device manager and then download and install it from the below link.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96874.exe

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Mystic_Grey

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please test the hardware using these steps - 

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F2 once. 
4) Go to Component test. 
5) From the list, run the Touchpad test.

If the hardware is fine, perform a system restore - 

1. Shutdown the computer. 
2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3. Press F11 once for System Recovery. 
4. Choose the Keyboard Layout. 
5. Click on Troubleshoot. 
6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Restore. 
7. Choose a Restore point or a Restore date when the computer was working fine. 
8. Click on OK to initialize the System Restore.

You may also refer to this video - TROUBLESHOOTING THE TOUCHPAD ON HP NOTEBOOKS IN WINDOWS 10

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

15665279649564746418936630825414.jpg

15665280101584215838456192199622.jpg

I have found that the issue is due to the i2c HID device. It says, This device cannot start( code 10). A re quest for HID descriptor failed. I'll attach the images in this thread. My laptop was bought a month and a half ago and it's cover under warranty but the problem is I had bought it from US and even though HP says, it's warranty is international, I would also like to have confirmation on that. But most importantly, I hope you can resolve this drive issue before it gets to me going to the HP service center. So please tell me how to fix this?

HP Recommended

@Mystic_Grey,

I recommend you download and install the below chipset driver and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96855.exe

If you continue facing the issue, then uninstall the touchpad driver from device manager and then download and install it from the below link.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96874.exe

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much @The_Fossette. Couldn't thank you enough. I uninstalled the I2C driver and installed the driver from the below link below. It works now. Hopefully, it stays like that. Thanks a ton man! 🙂

HP Recommended

@Mystic_Grey,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey .@The_Fossette

I'm sorry to break this to you but unfortunately, I'm facing the same issue again. Could you please help me out again?. I really have no idea as to why this keeps happening. I tried what you told me above and  did it exactly like you told me to do. Now,even that's not helping me. What do I do? Why is this happening?Screenshot (26).pngScreenshot (27).png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.