Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15t-n200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Laptop had suffered some heat damage and the exterior of the display assembly had melted slightly.  

Some black section, horizontally oriented, appeared, several inches across, about .375" thick at thickest.

Replaced the screen.  Now, the horizontal lines, not solid black but discolored, are not as thick but run across the display screen.

Connected the laptop to an external monitor, the horizontal lines are not there.

Have uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics driver and rebooted, let the laptop discover the best drivers, but the problem doesn't go away and is the same area despite lower resolution.  

My hunch is that these two screens may have similar defects and perhaps are part of a bad bunch.

Anyone got similar experiences and have had successful fixes?

Thanks,

Bardi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Bardiferous,

As the issue does not persist when you connect an external monitor, it certainly sounds like a hardware issue with the PC.

Replace the faulty display raw panel.

Please contact HP support and get the service options for the laptop.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Refer this article to know more information about display issues. Click Here

Hope this answers your query!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The original screen's dark pixels were similarly horizontally oriented, thicker for an inch or two, about 4 inches across overall, and about 3/8" thick at the thickest point.

Here is the new screen assembly.  When the image is mirrored on an external screen, there is no horizontal line at all.

Here is a picture of the new screen.Here is a picture of the new screen.

HP Recommended

No feedback on this?  🙄

HP Recommended

Hey there! @Bardiferous,

As the issue does not persist when you connect an external monitor, it certainly sounds like a hardware issue with the PC.

Replace the faulty display raw panel.

Please contact HP support and get the service options for the laptop.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Refer this article to know more information about display issues. Click Here

Hope this answers your query!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here is a picture of the original screen, where the dark patches are visible when the laptop is off.  Actually, this screen panel has been removed entirely and I do already have a replacement.

original screenoriginal screen

The brand on the original was Samsung, though it says, "Made in China."  I guess we're in a global economy, right?!

HP Recommended

@Bardiferous

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After buying a 3rd replacement screen, the horizontally oriented black/dark pixels are now gone.  I'm guessing that at least one manufacturer had defective panels and perhaps I found one that was not from that manufacturer or not part of that batch.

I didn't see a PM, BTW.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.