Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Regents Professor
Message 1 of 13 (12,389 Views)

How can I use the newest drivers for my ATI card?

[ Edited ]

You may have found new video drivers from AMD, but are having difficulties installing them on your switchable graphics system. It is possible to upgrade them, but a specific process needs to be used.

First, a couple of notes. Do NOT uninstall the HP supplied driver. Uninstalling the HP driver could result in the switchable graphics system being corrupted and requiring a recovery to fix it. Ensure that .NET Framework 4 is installed as it is required for the newest drivers.

.NET Framework can be found at this link.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

When downloading the AMD driver, be sure to manually select your card from the desktop category. If you use the mobile version of the driver, you will more than likely get a message stating to go to the OEM manufacturer (HP in this case).  When installing the driver, be sure to choose the custom option. Custom will allow you to verify what is being installed. It should be good to go as long as display driver is listed.

With these steps, the AMD driver should update.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
Message 2 of 13 (11,951 Views)

Re: How can I use the newest drivers for my ATI card?

good day, i followed all steps and drivers installed succesfully, but now i got problems with brightness, cant change. screen is dark, and i have to change to intel then again to AMD to make it brighter, do u know how to solve this problem?

Honor Student
Message 3 of 13 (11,911 Views)

I have the same issue with the 13.6 beta driver, I can't control the screen brightness, even after switching to the intel video

Honor Student
Message 4 of 13 (11,647 Views)

I am looking to follow these instructions, where do I download the desktop drivers from? I am using the 5470 card.

Cheers

Regents Professor
Message 5 of 13 (11,573 Views)

[ Edited ]

jsmee wrote:

I am looking to follow these instructions, where do I download the desktop drivers from? I am using the 5470 card.

Cheers

Hello jsmee.

You can go to your the manufacturer's site and download the drivers there.

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Tutor
Message 6 of 13 (11,469 Views)

[ Edited ]

jsmee wrote:

Cheers

I just updated my DV6-3031SA - ATI MOBILITY HD 5470.

I used their seach thing:http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Step 1 - Notebook Graphics

Step 2 - Radeon HD Series

Step 3 - Mobility Radeon HD 5xxx Series

Step 4 - Windows 7 64 Bit

That brought up a page with that auto detect program, thats poop and didnt work - but under that was the 13.10 Beta (235 MB)

I cleaned off all ATI driver stuff before install, dont know if doing it over the old one will work becasue i only tried that with a driver pack that was the wrong one and that didnt work. That Beta is working so far. The only thing thats a bit anoying is when i switch to Intel now the Catalyst Control Center icon in the task bar dosent dissapear like it used to. I used to only get the icon for whatever graphics was working. I dont care though Smiley Very Happy

The Intel driver seems to still be the one from HP - dont know if its possible to update them - i tried one but it took away the ablity to switch bewtween graphics in the CCC and Intel properties. If i go to device manager and try and update from there it just says its up to date (2010), that dosent sound right but i hardly use Intel anyway - and if it aint broke dont fix it i guess lol.

Lol - i just tried changing the brightness for the AMD using the quick buttons and its not having it too. It works on the Intel ones coz i had to do it earlier. I dont use the brightness buttons though, thankfully.  

You know what would be great? - if HP  updated the graphics drivers in the first place! Going on 3 years with no updated ones from them  - as if it dosent matter a squat to them if you can use the card to its full potential of not.  >.< Slaaack.

Tutor
Message 7 of 13 (11,409 Views)

But, m-muh brightness control.

Tutor
Message 8 of 13 (11,377 Views)

[ Edited ]

I cant change brightness with any controls on the AMD card - not on the buttons or in power management settings.

Before i installed the Beta I was going to try these drivers from here: http://leshcatlabs.net

They are moddified to work with swichable graphics, but i dont know if they are stable becasue i havent tried them.

Anyway, I just tried to see if i could fix the brightness with that leshcatlabs installer - before it installs the driver something comes up with options to fix problems. One is to fix the brightness.

I followed the manual here:http://leshcatlabs.net/manual/index.html?unifl_brightness_resolver.htm

I found the value that Intel is supposed to use which is right for my laptop, but i tried to follow the same instructions to see if AMD value was right but couldnt figure it out.

Soooo much hasstle >.<

You could try those modded drivers if notheing else works. I dont know, every laptop make is different and theres 20 different ways to do things.

Only HP can make it simple for all their customers, by making new versions of the drivers. But thats never going to happen apparently.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/HP-NEW-Driver-NEEDED-for-ATI-Mobility-Radeon...

Someone on this thread asked them and they said it's never going to happen >.<

Id really rather be able to use those brighness controls (even though i dont use them) but i'll have to settle for how they are now - unless someone finds a fix that works, or HP grows a conscience and makes some new drivers lol.

Tutor
Message 9 of 13 (11,351 Views)

Thanks for the link to the superthread. I wish it didn't have to be so complicated, but this is my first laptop and I didn't realize this was how companies operated. Surely, it's not just HP?

That being said I've learned over 100 things about this laptop and the company and will definitely do what I can to avoid such trouble in the future; not buying another HP again for one. Smiley Tongue

Tutor
Message 10 of 13 (11,341 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is my first laptop too, i didnt realise HP would be so slack as to not bother about updating something as important as the graphics drivers either.  Some games glitch well bad with the old ones.

I tried them modded drivers earlier but on the intel chip ther was no way to switch the graphics back to AMD >.< Brightness contorl didnt work with them either. Its redicuous. With HP drivers all we'd have to do is download, follow some simple instructions and its done...

Dont know if other laptop companies are like this. I think they could make more money if they supported their products properly though - then people would buy from them again and maybe recomend them. 

I'm pretty sure the brighness problem can be fixed by changing something in the registry - thats what that unifl brightness resolver that the modded drivers come with does - changes registry values. I cant figure it out though. I did a system restore to before i updated the HP ones and checked what values showed up in that brighness resolver and they are exaclty the same ones as after the Beta is installed - so it dosnet look like anything should need changing there.

I dunno, i give up for now, its anoying me Smiley Very Happy lol..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation