Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a pavillion dv5 2070us and the screen is cracked and I can't see anything and I wanted to know what are the function keys to connect it with and external monitor. I have tried but the monitor is not connecting.

help please

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can connect to an external monitor via a VGA or HDMI connection.  The usual process to transfer the video output to an external source is to hold down the fn key and press f4.  Use the arrow keys to select 'Projector Only' and hit enter.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have tried that and it doesn't work.  Is there any other way?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Could you post back with the following.

1.  Which operating system do you have installed?

2.  Do you see anything on the laptop display?

3.  What connections does your external monitor support?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have window 7 home premium 64 bit

No i can not see anything on my laptop display because of the crack

VGA

HP Recommended

Hi,

Am I correct assuming that you therefore can't see whether fn + f4 is actually working?

If this is correct try the following.

Start the notebook and leave it long enough to ensure Windows has fully loaded.  If your account is password protected, turn on the notebook, leave it for a few minutes, then type in your password and hit enter.  Leave it for another 5 minutes, connect the VGA cable between your external monitor and your notebook.  Now hold down the fn button and press f4 once.  Tap the right arrow three times and then hit enter to see if this will transfer the display.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same issue on the Pavilion dv6.  I have completed the following steps but I still could not see anything on the external monitor.  What else can I do?  Thank you

HP Recommended

I did what DP-K suggested and it did not totally work, BUT  I connected a good laptop that I was able to see the screen on to my tv and got it to work.  I followed all the steps DP-K suggested except where they said to hit the arrow button 3 times and then enter.  

When I connected my good laptop, a menu came up and the first choice was the one that would make it display on the tv, sooooo  I would suggest that if hitting the arrow 3 times and then Enter does not work, just hit Enter without hitting the arrow key at all.  Also, make sure your tv Input is set to VGA before doing this.  My Function key I needed to press on my computer was F5, so check and see which function key has an outline of a moniter on it on your keyboard.

HP Recommended
I have the above problem with my pavilion dv6 but I can't remember my password can some one please show me the steps to resetting it and getting the monitor to work
HP Recommended

I also am having trouble seeing my screen.  I need to know what kind of VGA display cable to get.

Any help would be appreciated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.