Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi

I am unable to connect to an external monitor. I have tried restarting laptop, upgrading the drivers, updating my computer, bought a new HDMI cable, took it to a computer shop for them to have a look... No luck

Help. Any ideas?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Kinesiology1

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 15 laptop and unable to connect an external monitor via HDMI. I read that you have replaced the HDMI cable and also consulted a local computer shop and the issue remains unresolved. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I suggest you to review the steps from this link. Also, I would suggest you to check in the device manager for any missing drivers. If these steps have been tried already then you may skip them and continue with the next step.

Feel free to let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi I am having the same issue trying to run a dual monitor setup, while both monitors work through VGA I am getting no signal from the HDMI. I have tried the steps you have suggested and still nothing?

I know the HDMI Lead is working as I have connected another computer to it using this lead and I have also tried connecting the Laptop to a TV using a different lead and still no signal.

It's getting very frustrating as I've researched many internet posts and this seems to be a common issue with no positive fix.

The HDMI port isnt outputing any signal and it's not showing in Windows 10 enabled or unabled. Please Help?

HP Recommended

@TheHub42

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 

I understand that the HDMI is not working on your computer. You have already tried all steps from the previous post and also have tested the HDMI cable and HDMI screen on another computer and they work fine. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

The evidence points towards a defective HDMI port. I suggest you to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your computer. 

Please keep me posted for any questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

No this hasn't been very helpful as my warranty has run out and you want me to pay £34 to talk to an advisor to get a diagnoses and quote, and then pay whatever it is to fix it.

Seems this is quite a common problem but you can't just be upfront with your customers and let us know what the problem is so we can fix it ourselves.

I guess I need a new graphics card cause the HDMI port is dead, so instead of paying HP more money to fix a common issue I'll just buy a new graphics card. Thank for your input!!!!

HP Recommended

@TheHub42

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended

Thank you for the speedy response, I have already recieved an email saying someone will be in touch in regards to the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi Kazi

Thank you for your reply. I have got to part 2, the sound output, and I have no option to choose a HDMI output, I just have one option in there - the Speaker/HP, and when I right click, there are no diconnected or disabled devices......

Thanks

Sheryl

HP Recommended

Well so much for the auto generated private message saying someone would be in contact! I'm still waiting!!!!!!!!!

Sheryl, seems this an all to common issue with HP laptops which HP don't really want to help us with!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.