Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I dropped my laptop, now it mostly plays YouTube videos in black and white

15-g013gx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop slid out of the trunk of the car and it dropped onto asphalt. The screen is still in color, but most videos such as Youtube videos are in black and white.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
20,767 20,712 1,901 4,557
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I dropped my laptop, now it mostly plays YouTube videos in black and white

johncordek

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

Notebooks are designed to be light and portable -- at the expense of ruggedness and survivability. Dropping a notebook can result in numerous internal failures that you don't see: motherboard cracks, chip damage, connector damage, hard disk damage, screen backlight damage -- NONE of which is easy or cheap to repair.

Without extensive diagnostics, there is no simple way to know if the laptop is "OK". It may power up, but there may easily be different problems, as listed above.

You can TRY running the built-in laptop diagnostics by pressing F2 repeatedly while rebooting and selecting the diagnostics. IF those all pass, there might still be minor damage that those do not detect.

My suggestion is that if the PC is still under warranty, you contact an HP Service Center to see if they will provide you an estimate on the diagnostics and repair costs. Here is information on them:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

If the PC is no longer under warranty, then you would have to pay HP to look at it and run diagnostics. You might consider using a local laptop repair facility rather than sending the laptop to an HP Service Center.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation