cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

I want to totally eliminate the touchpad. I only use the mouse and hate the touchpad.

HP Recommended
HP15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I asked this question once before, and was told to tap the upper left corner of the touchpad twice...and it worked...it stopped the touchpad.  But it's back, and tapping the corner twicedoesn't work.  I also previously disabled the touchpad in the settings, and that, too came back.  I uninstalled synaptics program, but the touchpad is still "live" and I hate it and want to totally disable it.  Help?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 6
Level 6
296 289 18 39
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Bo-barb

below are the steps to disable that.

Step 1: Open the Task Manager (Open your task manager, ctrl+alt+del, or by searching for it.)

Step 2: Select Startup Options. Select the startup tab along the top.

Step 3: Disable ETD Control Center - 

1. If you don't immediately see ETD Control Center, you can sort the programs by their status.
  2. Disable it by either right clicking or pressing the button at the bottom right-hand corner.
I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Thumbs Up” STAR to say thanks!***
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had an answer but it said to go to task mgr. and go to startup on top, I did, clicked it, but did not have anythig that looked like EDT (I think it was that) mgr.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
Level 6
296 289 18 39
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Bo-barb,

Please try these steps if you dont see ETD,

Disabling touchpad using the native Device Manager

WARNINIG: If you don’t have a mouse nearby, please don’t attempt to disable the touchpad using one of these methods, as once the touchpad is disabled, you’ll need a mouse to work on the machine. Also, you need to connect a mouse (not required if you know how to navigate to the Device Manager and enable the touchpad using keyboard) in order to enable the previously disabled touchpad.

Step 1: Open Device Manager. To do so, simultaneously press Windows logo and R keys to open the Run command, type Devmgmt.msc in the box, and then press enter key.

Step 2: Once Device Manager is there on your screen, expand Test (if it’s not already), and then expand Mice and other pointing devices to see HID-compliant mouse entries.

Step 3: Right-click on the first HID-compliant mouse entry and then click Disable option. Click Yes button when you see “Disabling this device will cause it to stop functioning. Do you really want to disable it?” warning message to disable the touchpad.

In most cases, disabling the first HID-compliant mouse should disable the built-in touchpad. But if the touchpad is working even after disabling the first entry, disable other HID-compliant mouse one after another.

In order to enable the touchpad again, you need to right-click on disabled HID-compliant mouse entry and then click enable option.

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Thumbs Up” STAR to say thanks!***
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation