Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
13-g110dx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello,

I physically installed a new solid state hard drive on an

HP Split x2.   See reason below*.

Please need advice if I should be expecting "BIOS prompts".  

All I'm getting is a black screen.   No messages.

I did get get a USB recovery media.   Is that the next step?   Not sure, if the fact that there are no message on the black screen is a sign that even the recovery media will not work.

I did try going into the BIOS by tapping  "Esc".    Also tried with a downloaded BIOS and holding  "Windows + B".  Stil no BIOS.

Will appreciate advice.   Ex-Parte

More background information

*After a several chats on Forum, came to a hard drive diagnostic (culprit for not letting the computer boot up; not even letting it get to BIOS).   

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/split-X2-will-not-boot-Black-screen-one-orange...

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Ex-Parte,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that after installing a new SSD drive, on startup you get a blank screen. Please review this post by @ericoRe: How to upgrade your notebook to a SATA 2.5" SSD and let me know it that helped. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

@Ex-Parte

You weren't supposed to "get  recovery media".

You were supposed to use a USB flash drive and the HP recovery media creator utility to make your own USB recovery media flash drive. Everyone has to do that since it is  the OS copy model used by the PC industry. That is unless you  don't mind ordering recovery media from HP and paying for it.

If you have already either upgraded to  Windows 10, then you are fortunate. That will mean that you already have a digital license entitlement on the Microsoft  Windows 10 licensing servers.  If you didn't do that, then you have a problem and need recovery media to resolve it.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.