2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel HD graphics 3000

HP EliteBook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello People!

I'm trying to fix a major problem but after many hours of sitting in front of my laptop screen, I still can't find a solution.

My laptop is a HP EliteBook 8460p (refurbished)

Cpu: Intel Core i7-2620M vPro

Ram: Corsair VALUESELECT SO-DIMM DDR3 16gb PC3-10700 Dual Channel Kit

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 ???

Everything was so fine without any problem until I decided to upgrade ram. There were 4gb of DDR3 pre-installed memory. Then I replaced them with 16gb as you can see above. In order to use new memory I should re-install windows

because the pre-installed OS couldn't boot into windows environment. I re-installed windows 7 pro x64 and then everything seemed to be right. However everything changed when I had to install graphics drivers. I tried every method and every site (hp, intel, windows) and most of graphic drivers versions. The problem is that most times windows crash and reboot just after welcome screen (sometimes before it) of some seconds later. Without graphics driver, using Standard vga adapter everything goes fine but the screen quality is too low and I can't use applications that use graphic hardware accelaration. I don't remember if specs of my refurbished EliteBook included extra discrete graphics card like other EliteBook products. Besides device manager doesn't detect something like this. Unfortunately I hadn't noticed driver details of the pre-installed OS. I need my EliteBook at my job, so I need to find a solution.

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
38148 37968 5796 10069
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel HD graphics 3000

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

You have either Intel HD 3000 or Radeon HD 6470M, but I think the real problem is that you may have installed incompatible memory. The dead giveaway was that when you rebooted after installing the new memory the OS would not load. Compatible memory should "just work", not require a reload of the OS. 

This is the correct memory:

8-GB (PC3-10600, 1333-MHz, DDR3) 634091-001

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-Notebooks-KTH-X3B-8G/dp/B007BPOHLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

Is this what you bought?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233216

0 Kudos
Soulthief Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel HD graphics 3000

Thank you very much for your reply...The exact product I purchased is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233217

I'm planning tomorrow to install again my old memory of 4gb and re-install OS...If new memory is incompatible please let me know in order to replace it with another one compatible...Please attach a dual channel kit of 16gb which is compatible...I use my laptop at Live Dj Mixes, so I need this quantity of memory.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation