Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@mlharmon wrote:

Joel,

That's the same error I received when I attempted to reinstall Intel RealSense Depth Camera Manager myself.  I had some success with running the installer with administrative privileges, but even if it completes the error is not resolved and the camera does not have full function.  I don't know else to try, but if something comes to mind, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Foolishly on my part, I didn't leave well enough alone. I reasoned that since both the camera and Windows Hello were both working, I could then try to get Real Sense Training to also recognize the camera by running the Intel DCM app again in administrative mode, intel_rs_dcm_sr300_3.3.27.5718.exe.

That was a bad decision! Windows Hello and the Camera BOTH became inoperative. I removed the two SmartSense camera drivers, RGB and Depth, rebooted, and then ran the Intel Chipset installer again, downloaded from HP, sp75591.exe.

That got the camera working again and recognized by Skype, but not by Windows Hello. I also notice that I now only see the left camera green LED and not the camera red LED which is in the large square cutout above the screen.

Windows Hello keeps repeating that the camera is not available and to logon with my PIN.

I'll contact Greg H. again at the windows Answer Desk when I have more time, but am really puzzled why Intel and HP haven't yet developed a fix for this issue. Maybe it is just more difficult a problem than I can fully understand.

I would appreciate a further response and update from Intel and HP.

Do you have any more insights or suggestions?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joel

HP Recommended

Sorry, but I'm all out of ideas.  I'm going to sit back and just wait this out.  I think there's a specific issue with the latest build of Windows 10 and this is just one of the incompatibilities that will have to be worked out.

Mark

HP Recommended

Joel,

I just had a thought - do you have a restore point from before you attempted to reinstall the RealSense software?  Perhaps when the camera was at least working with Windows hello?  That might help get you back to some function.

Mark

HP Recommended

Today I downloaded a Windows 10 driver update that appears to have resolved this issue:  "Intel - Image - 5/8/2017 12:00:00 AM - 4.2.159.18".  I advise everyone to check for updates and install the driver offered.

Mark

HP Recommended

I have a HP Envy Notebook 17-u011nr where my camera stopped working with Win Hello last fall. The camera did work with Win Camera, however.

When I updated to Win 10 1703 yesterday my camera started working again for Win Hello. The update included updating the camera driver to 4.2.159.18. 

But today the camera couldn't be turned on when I tried running the Win camera app. Reloading the camera driver did not fix the problem. It may be coincedence that it failed when trying to run Win camera. But now both Win Camera and Win Hello doesn't work. But I don't know what else I might have done since nothing I was doing today involved the camera until trying to run Win Camera.

Sounds like a problem between Intel and MS. Hope they get it worked out. Otherwise I'll just continue to use my PIN.

Leonard

HP Recommended

The Windows Update that I did on May 10th, 2017 is the UPDATE that did it man, and I've updated my computer the day any update comes... so it was indeed the lastest update that has ruined our lives with the Intel RealSense camera... I'm just gonna have to go back to the May 10th restore point and hope that works....

HP Recommended

Joel./Mark/and others -

I have an HP ENVY m7 with the same problem.  Intel RealSense SR300 integrated camera that stopped working after Creators Update (v1703) of Windows.  My symptoms are a mix of what you have described.  I have a missing "Virtual Driver" in the Device Manager.  I have Skype video working, but not Windows Hello or Windows Camera app, and surprisingly not the RealSense Training app.  I have called HP, Intel, and Microsoft.  I hope to be speaking with a Level III (not II) technician tomorrow (5/20).

I have tried everything.  The Intel file (intel_rs_dcm_sr300_3.3.27.5718.exe), uninstalling devices and rebooting, HP BIOS flash, etc.  I did the uninstall/reboot twice:  the first time was just no change, the second time the devices went hidden on me.  I ran the Intel file and it seemed to get the devices back, all but the Virtual Driver, but nothing was operational still.  The next time I tried the Intel file, I got the same error with the Intel Camera Manager software that Joel showed, but interestingly enough, this brought my camera BACK to operation in Skype, but still nothing in Windows or Intel app and no Virtual Driver.

You have inspired me that perhaps I can get a bit further, but I go with trepidation, because Skype does work again now.  Without the RealSense Training app working, however, I feel that my camera is hobbled, and I believe I'm not getting full functionality out of it.

The HP guy wanted to reset my PC to factory, including back to Windows 1511 (of course the camera will work, but is it worth the megahours to restore all apps and files? ...and what happens when I get Windows 1703 again?), and then he wanted to sell me an extended warranty.  The Intel guy did admit that they are aware of the problem.  The Level I Microsoft tech led me to believe that THEY are also aware of it, which is why I'll be getting a Level III.  I hope I get Greg!  LOL!

Thank you all SO MUCH for confirming this very specific problem with HP's and Intel RealSense cameras!

HP Recommended

Mary,

What I did to get my camera to work properly under the latest Windows 10 build was to first run WIndows Update and install the driver item  "Intel - Image - 5/8/2017 12:00:00 AM - 4.2.159.18".  I then went into device manager and deleted any greyed-out Intel Realsense items under the "Imaging devices" category.  To see all the devices, you should click "View" and then "Show hidden devices'.  Right-click on the item you want to remove and then click "Uninstall device".  Then I restarted my PC and the missing drivers reinstalled.  I rebooted again and the camera worked.  I was able to run Intel Realsense training successfully.

Since your model is different than mine, I can't say that this will work for you but I think it's worth the effort.

Mark

HP Recommended

Thanks, Mark.

I saw that solution you posted, and I was so wanting to be able to use it!  Unfortunately, I already have that exact "Intel - Image - 5/8/2017 12:00:00 AM - 4.2.159.18" in my Update History, and I have tried the steps you mention (and many things, including a System Restore to just after Creators Update installation),  but I believe it's possible that you were successful because you were able to do those steps RIGHT AFTER installing the "Image" driver.

What I did to get back at least Skype was to run that Intel Camera Manager, let it fail, but then Skype worked (no Wndows camera operability and no Intel app camera recognition -- well, to be honest, and I have a witness, the Camera app and Skype worked at first, but then a reboot made the Camera app fail, but Skype was still there).

Today I spoke with Microsoft Level II (I think they think it was 3 but it was really #2, if you know what I mean).  Alenn from Microsoft evenually told me that it is a known bug and the technicians are working on a fix for it, working with HP, and they would notify me when an update is ready with a fix.  I can live with that for now, but unfortunately he didn't tell me this BEFORE he deleted my devices and made my Skype operability disappear, and not before he did a System Restore to the same point I did 2 days ago.  (He had apparently not created a restore point prior to starting on my PC.) 

So now I'm at a point where I was 2 days ago, but I remember the steps to get at least Skype working.  I want to try the Chipset drivers that Joel mentioned, since "what can it hurt"?  Oh, and yes, I have many times deleted the "hidden devices".  I've done that now, ready to try the Chipset solution. 

Interestingly enough, I have also found the following System Device: "Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Camera Virtual Bus Encounter" (3 duplicate device entries, in fact).  When I was able to successfully recover (only) Skype camera, I had deleted ALL RealSense devices (Imaging devices, System devices, USB devices).  This time I am leaving the one Virtual Bus Encounter, but if I have no success, I might try removing it again and doing driver updates again without it.  I have not heard of anyone mentioning this device, and deleting it seemed to not make much of a difference.  The fact that it is a System Device leads me to believe there may be hope for that Chipset solution.

More later.  But of course, the wait for Microsoft/HP/Intel is the best solution.  I'm just trying to get my Skype camera to work again, as it is the primary app for which I need the camera.

HP Recommended

Update:  I bailed on the chipset update.  The Intel detection utility did not include the processor, only the graphics card, wireless, and bluetooth.  The graphics said that it was a customized driver for HP, so without seeing if the processor driver was custom I balied.

BUT...

So I tried the RealSense Camera Manager software again.  This time it did not fail!  I got back all devices as I'd expect (3 in imaging including Virtual Driver, one in system, and one in USB).  Suddenly, everything started to work, even Itel RealSense Training!  Until that app made the camera shut down, and then it failed in everything but Skype again, but also said I needed a restart.  So after restart, no Windows Hello, but Camera, RealSense Training, and Skype were all working.  After a complete Shutdown and Startup, even Windows Hello started working.

So I thought I was big stuff at this point.  Camera got stuck on once in Facebook, had to restart, Win Hello turned on camera but didn't recognize (I think it was a issue with sunglasses), but now all camera apps SEEM to be running fine.

So WHAT'S DIFFERENT about this time, I said.  So I went to Windows Update History and lo-and-behold, here's what is there under Driver Updates:

Intel(R) Corporation driver update for Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Camera SR300 Depth (installed 5/20/2017)

Intel(R) Corporation - System - 11/30/2015 12:00:00 AM - 18.14.30.14  (installed 5/20/2017)

I don't recall ever seeing the RealSense Camera update, but I'm not sure.  All I know is these 2 came in today, either via Intel Camera Manager software or via a Windows Update.  Who knows.

But now EVERYTHING is working, and I don't necessarily think I had much to do with it.  Hopefully everyone will see success soon.

- Mary

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.