Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15 8th Gen i7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Already some hour after I bought the laptop I noticed that the mouse started to freeze, usually 1-2 seconds, sometimes longer and sometimes I have to put Windows to Sleep and back to get out of the frozen screen. Initially I thought it was just a mouse issue, then I realized that that the screen was actually frozen, not just the mouse, I could see both Task Manager frozen as well as that a YouTube video froze, but I still heard the video sound. Sometimes I can work hours without any issues, sometimes the freezing comes after some minutes after startup/from sleep.

Windows 10 is up-to-date, as well as all drivers from HP Support Assistant and Intel’s Driver-and-support Assistant. I have a Logitech Mouse MX Anywhere 2s, which I first suspected the driver/Logitech Options could be the cause, but I made sure I uninstalled it completely and still had the problem with just the mouse pad.

I'm thinking this must be a display driver issue since I've noticed that it often happens when the mouse comes near window edges or when scrolling window contents.

BIOS: F.34

NVIDIA GeForce MX150: 23.21.13.8873 (2017-12-18)

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620: 22.20.16.4836 (2017-10-17)

Any ideas?

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

@wastian

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 series laptop and the cursor and the screen freeze intermittently for 1 0r 2 seconds. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To assist you better, I would like to know the following information:

• What is the exact laptop model no? This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Did any software changes or updates happen on the laptop post which this issue may have started?
  • If you use the touchpad and disconnect the Logitech mouse then does the freezing issue occur?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the AC adapter.
  • Do not power on the laptop yet.

Now, let us run a hardware test o the laptop by following the below steps:

• Turn on the laptop and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

​​​​​​​

Please run the following steps one by one:

• Memory Tests - There are three different memory tests available. If you think there is a problem with the memory, first try the Fast Test (3 minutes or more depending on the amount of system memory). If the Fast Test does not find a problem, run the Quick Test (about 10 minutes). (This test is not available in the Windows version of the hardware diagnostics at this time.)

If the Quick Test does not find a problem, run the Memory Extensive Test. It can be run once or looped until an error occurs.

To run the memory tests, follow the steps in Memory Test.

• Mouse/Touchpad Tests - There are two mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test.

To run the tests, click Mouse/Touchpad. Select the test you want to run, and then click Run once. Follow the instructions to complete the test. Please run this tests with the Logitech mouse connected and once without the mouse connected. This way we can test the mouse and the touchpad too. 

• Video Tests - This test includes three tests of the video hardware on your computer.

To run the test, click Video, select one of the following tests, and then click Run Once.

1. Video Memory Fast Check - 3 minute video memory test
  2. Video Memory Check - 20 minute memory test
  3. Palette Check - 1 minute test of the three video color components. Follow the on-screen instructions during the test.

If all the tests pass then let us update the BIOS on your laptop. You may search and install a BIOS update via this link: http://hp.care/2B3MVQS

NOTE: The charger must be connected until the BIOS update is complete to avoid any power interruptions due to battery draining out. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to let me know the results. I'll be glad to assist you further. 

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for the quick reply!

Today I was searching more on the net around this issue and saw some postings that similar behavior has been noticed with the Chrome web browser. I never thought about this. I did install Chrome almost at once when I got the laptop, and I usually start Chrome whenever I start the laptop and never thought it could be the cause for the freeze. Today I've been using Firefox instead and haven't noticed any issues at all (fingers crossed).

So, now my new guess this is an issue between Chrome and the display driver.

Still, I will do all tests that you requested, but not until tomorrow.

My laptop model: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl102no

Chrome: Version 65.0.3325.146 (Official Build) (64-bit)

HP Recommended

@wastian

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 

Sure, feel free to reply as conveniently as possible. Secondly, if possible try to uninstall chrome browser and check if that helps. You may reinstall it again later.

Thanks for keeping me updated. 🙂

HP Recommended

Just an update (no diagnosis done yet, I have no power adapter with me at work):
- Issue also using Firefox, so I've uninstalled both Chrome and Firefox and still have the issue.

- Uninstalled "Logitech Options" software and not using the mouse (only mouse pad), and even turned off Bluetooth altogether.

- Rebooted a couple of times and still have the issue, right after the reboot.

- I've looked at Resource Monitor, which says using CPU 50% frequence, almost no load, no disk, no network activity etc, but still freezing/hacking.

- Also as I've mentioned earlier, it looks like a screen driver issue since if the screen is frozen a longer time, and I've been trying to click all over and using the keyboard - when the screen comes back it has a lot of other things changed/opened - whatever I happened to do unintentionally while the screen was frozen.

- I have made a video (85 MB) from my phone showing the Task Manager's update constantly freezing, which is also how the mouse then of course behaves. Is there a way to upload it somehow?

- I will do the diagnosis when I come home and have the power adapter available, in ~5 hours from now.

As the laptop now behaves, it is useless. As I mentioned earlier, I noticed this behavior almost 30 min after first startup when I bought it. Then I returned it to where I bought it. Got it back 2 days later and they couldn't find any issues, and I couldn't even reproduce the issue at the seller place either. But then I got the issue back some hours later at home. Then some day later it worked flawlessly for about a day, then next day same issue again.

Yesterday it worked so fine so I even bought an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, online. But today, now I can't even write this post (using another computer).

HP Recommended

Hi,

All diagnostic tests has Passed.

I also installed latest available BIOS earlier (before posting this thread).

I'm out of options now, what to test more? Install another display driver? I saw corresponding Intel UHD 620 driver has another version number and Intel's Driver & Support Assistant also says this driver is supplied by the PC manufacturer. I guess this has to do with the touch screen?

Reinstall Windows? Do I loose my bought Pro upgrade version?

HP Recommended

@wastian

Thank you for replying with the results.

Yes, you may download and install the suggested drivers by the HP Support Assistant - Intel UHD 620 driver.

And if you reinstall Windows, all data will be lost including the Pro upgrade version.

Keep me posted. Thanks again! 🙂

HP Recommended

@wastian,

I'm having the EXACT same problem you are - mouse pointer freezes sometimes for 2-3 seconds, and once it locked up completely (no BSOD).  Hardware diagnostics revealed nothing wrong with my system - I ran them with no failures as a first sanity check.  I just got my machine today, found the problem within 15 minutes of turning it on.  I *WAS* going to film a video review of it to publish this weekend, until this happened to me.  I can't even run bechmarking software.  This makes me wonder what sort of quality control they receive before getting on the plane bound for the US.

My model is the 15t-ch000 (last 3 digits refer to options, mine is custom [=000] with the 1TB SSD, 16GB ram, 8th gen i7-8550u, and the tilt pen.)  Like you, I got the home default and used one of my bulk OEM codes to upgrade to pro.  For all intents and purposes, the 15t-ch[XXX] will be the new 2018 model with the full keyboard edge to edge including number pad, round DC power jack on the left side,  and no side speakers as opposed to the 2017 i7 7th gen product refresh for 2018 with the 2 stereo speakers next to the keyboard.

I do not think chrome has anything to do with it - I run edge, haven't even installed chrome.  I did install passmark performance test for a review I'm doing on the machine, and it won't run the 3D test due to numerous complaints about the driver being wrong.  I did the full update with the HP (?) blue button with no outstanding updates.  There are no outstanding updates needed.

FYI, I believe the HP employee who told you that reformatting your SSD would cause you to loose the win10 PRO upgrade you bought is incorrect in his statement to that effect.  The license upgrade is either attached to your microsoft account if it was a retail package, or more likely it is an OEM auth code, in which case it is assigned to the serial number of the motherboard.  I've done complete re-installs from scratch (new drive, new processor, new memory - SAME motherboard) and as soon as Win 10 calls home to Microsoft, it is authorized - usually 30 minutes.  Just be sure to select the option to install PRO.  Also, if you re-image the SSD from the recovery partition, there is a non-activated (i.e. FREE) code you can enter in the traditional microsoft format under upgrade in system utilities that forces your machine to load PRO after you re-image with HOME.  (or you can do it from USB with a PRO USB stick)  If you did your home to pro upgrade with a code, your machine's serial number is now digitally authorized to run PRO.  Check about my system to make sure it worked on what you have now. The free code will force your win-10 home to do an upgrade to pro binaries.  If you didn't have your motherboard serial number authorized, it would run for a few days, then NAG you to buy an authorization for PRO after using the FREE code.  It's the upgrade equivalent of doing a new install from USB and saying "I want PRO" then "I'll enter my code later" - MS lets you do that, and expects you to follow through in a few days.  

Now - IF - you had to return your system to HP and buy another or have HP repair replace the motherboard with a different serial number, yes in that case you would loose your authorization.  Tell HP to buy you another one, or do the factory install of PRO instead of HOME before they send you the replacement as part of your returning the failed system. 

I really doubt this is a hardware failure.  It smells of driver problems.

I have some contacts in the customer escalation department that can get some attention on this sooner.  I'll be calling them tomorrow.  

Everett

HP Recommended

Hi Everett and thanks for the confimation!

As I mentioned earlier, this issue has sometimes "not appeared" and I could use the laptop for hours without a hickup, and it probably was the same situation when I returned it to the seller company and the day I got it back (to then demostrate the issue). But the last couple of days it has been in bad state all the time, almost impossible to use. I have wanted to throw it through the window! And I also gave away my old working laptop... Your message saves me at least from trying to reinstall Windows, since your confirmation conclude that this is not caused by something I did/installed.

I also suspect that the issue is the display driver and the special one I guess for UHD 620 + touch screen. Next step I think I'll do is to instead install the Intel stock UHD 620 driver which has a lot lower version number (15.xx compared to 22.x).

Good if you could push this issue on your side as well!

HP Recommended

@wastian -

I just spent 2.5 hours on the phone with HP support in what was actually a very productive call.  Hopefully you can save some of that time.  I can say this for sure - they've IMPROVED the customer support experience since 2017 - dramatically so.  It used to be the usual simple stuff followed by re-install c: from recovery then hit the blue (?) and if that doesn't work send the machine back.  I sent 3 machines back in early 2017 for a driver issue.  Obviously, that doesn't help HP nor their customers, so they've improved phone support with more knowledable people.

Start with the blue (?) HP tool, enter a new case so this gets tracked, describe your issue in the box, then call the toll free number they give you - it's only for spectre class machines and goes direct to a human on that team, no press 1 for printers etc...  I was amazed.

When you get connected - ask for Nitesh - he's knowledable, and has the same unit we do for spectre X360 support (big help when they have the same hardware and are experienced using it)  I also just hung up, so it is fresh in his to do list today to find out what is wrong.  The more people that have the issue - the more attention it should get.  Strength in numbers!

We went through several tests after I told him about what I had already tried, which saved lots of time.  We were able to rule out the trackpad & mouse first.

He'll do a remote session - and that showed more evidence it's definitely the video driver.  When my display "froze", his kept moving - in fact he could see me running the mouse in circles on his screen when I had no visual cue since my display hung / freeze.  That meant the problem is definitely in the video display driver.  The freeze is random, and duration is also random, which means lots of testing to get it to happen.  This is very similar to the 2017 bl000 machine I am upgrading from, which was returned 3 times.

He's looking for the more up to date driver - however - Nvidia has about 3 months ahead drivers (3-15-2018) compared to hp's internal site (dec 2017).  Also, the blue (?) database of updates tends to lag and won't signal a critical update until the database lists it as such.  For example, I started with BIOS F.04 when I unpacked my unit which the blue (?) said was current.  It wasn't - HP is up to F.12 just a few days ago.  I MANUALLY installed that, but the problem is still there, just not as bad.  Nitesh and I also checked all the driver versions against both HP's database, what's readily available from hp support (not necessarily in the database yet) - and finally with Nvidia.com.  I'm having the problem with all 3 versions, but to a lesser degree with the more recent ones.  Nitesh is researching which ones HP is trying as a fix and will get back to me.

The good thing about having one support person (Nitesh) handle all of our same problems is it saves time not having to explain the issue and try all the possible scenarios.  He's aware of the support limitations and testing prior to release delays in the support system.  He works from 0600 - 1430 PDT and is well versed on the 15t-ch0 series of machines.  mine is a custom build 15t-ch000 model.

I'd definitely contact him for your issue because as more and more people have the same problem, it will get escalated higher up and assigned more engineering resources to fix it.  You definitely want to open a support case using the blue question mark tool first.  Nitesh also speaks perfect English and is a great communicator.  HP's also improved their phone system since 2017 which used to impede communication rather than enable it due to bad sound quality and massive delays.  I was pleasantly surprised with the phone support this time.  Please let us know how things go so that others having this issue can find our results when searching online!

Everett

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.