Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (232 Views)

Keyboard will not work on HP Pavilion 13-r010dx x

Product Name: Pavilion 13
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Keyboard will not work along with the mouse touchpad. Tried connecting external keyboard to USB port. keyboard  was not recognized. Tried system restore to date before keyboard stopped working...the resore point was not accepted. Tried to uninstall keyboard. Didn't work. Tried resetting computer. Didn't work. Guess it must be hardware but there is no obvious physical damage. PLEASE HELP!

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 8 (201 Views)

Re: Keyboard will not work on HP Pavilion 13-r010dx x

Hi,

Perform keyboard component test from System Diagnostics UEFI: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Regards

Visruth
** I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for HP **

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say "Thank you" and the "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find this fix/answer easily
Top Student
Message 3 of 8 (185 Views)

Thanks for the advice; however, since the keyboard doesn't work hitting the F2 button on the keyboard as the system boots up will not work. Thus I can't run the System Diagnostics UEFI. Do you know of another way to initiate the test?

Provost
Message 4 of 8 (173 Views)

Connect external keyboard and try again.

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say "Thank you" and the "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find this fix/answer easily
Top Student
Message 5 of 8 (156 Views)

I actually tried that as well and discovered that the USB PORTS are not functioning either. This probably means that a component common to both the keyboard and dock ports is not working properly. I imagine the HDMI port probably doesn't work either. Do you have any thoughts? Thanks again for the help.
Provost
Message 6 of 8 (146 Views)

Component common to all of them is motherboard. And I think it is a major hardware issue if you're not able to do anything during BIOS load. Since factory reset did not improve the status, this confirm my belief.

Do a hard reset: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01684768

Remove battery, connect AC adapter power alone and power on.

Top Student
Message 7 of 8 (115 Views)

Tried the Power Reset...no luck.  I removed the cover from the keyboard dock and noticed that all of the components not working are connected to the I/O Board. Do you think it is more likely that that the I/O board or the System Board is the source of the issue. I would like to run the Hardware Diagnostics test. Is there any way to run the test w/o having to hit a keyboard key to enable the test? Thanks.

Provost
Message 8 of 8 (107 Views)

Other than connecting external keyboard and testing, no other way I know of.

It could be motherboard issue.

I'll get it checked by board level technician.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation