Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, ive been having my laptop for about 2 years & a few days ago, I was using my laptop at night & it was  perfectly normal, then the next morning I tried turning it on but no display whatsoever, just plain black. The power/battery is working perfectlly though. I tried a few things, I disconnected charger & took out battery & held the power button for 2 minutes about 3 times and nothing happened & I also switched the memory cards & nothing happened!! I would take my laptop to get fixed but I recently started college so I want to know what else can be wrong with it or how I can fix it :smileyindifferent:

by the way I have an hp Pavillion g4

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try this test: connect your machine to an external monitor (or a TV). If also no display that means something wrong with the graphics card otherwise something wrong with the laptop screen.  We can work from there.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have 2 HP laptops both showing the same issue, powering on but with no display. 1 has had the GPU reflowed and the other is in progress as I write. The ne that has been done so far still refuses to display. I have swapped out the RAM chips fully cleaned and serviced both machines.

The second one has displayed intermittently and even operated successfully for a few days but has since returned to the state described above. This is why I am reflowing the GPU. Just wonder if there's any other thing I need to be looking at.

HP Recommended

Hello @Verdi-Beethoven ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're having display issues on two notebooks.

Can you tell me how you're reflowing your GPU's (oven method or manually soldering)? There are quite a few steps that should be taken before resorting to a reflow.

You could reseat the display cable, replace the display inverter or backlight and even the display panel itself.

Have you tested these notebooks with an external VGA monitor to confirm the GPU is the actual issue and not the display itself?

I'd also suggest going through these documents:

Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.
Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista) or Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎.

Let me know if this helps or if an external display works. Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi thx for the reply, yes tried reseating cables, RAM (fully swapped) in both bays and indepenndently, also tried several times on an external monitor, swapped HDD for a blank one, tried to boot from usb (bootable) and CD rive with Linux live. 

Relow on a proper reflow table with preheat and cooling..

Stoill no response from any of the above and with RAM fully removed I get no error beeps and NO POST when I try to boot the system..

I'll have a look at your suggested links amnd see if they help me cure it..

HP Recommended

Ive followed all of the first one and more besides and I cant get into the UEFI to test the system on the second, so any more suggestions please?

HP Recommended

Hey Verdi-Beethoven,

If an external monitor and GPU reflow doesn't work you're looking at a motherboard issue.

I don't really have any other suggestions. If the external display doesn't work you've got GPU or Motherboard problems. I would suggest contacting HP Phone Support for service options. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Good luck! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

further symptom - system running (no display still) 35 mins on a cool work top and temp has risen to over 47°C by the RAM modules and over 40°C at the exhaust port.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.