Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop Keyboard, TouchPad, Touchscreen and Wireless Mouse do not work

HP Envy 15 q178ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Yesterday, after restarting my PC to finish updates from Windows, and installations from Autodesk and MATLab, my keyboard, touch pad and wireless mouse stopped working.

After checking the drivers, I found that the keyboard and mouse drivers had a code 32. So I did a system restore before all the updates. Did nothing for the drivers.

I tried uninstalling, updating the drivers; didn't work.

Then I used CCleaner to clean up registry errors. No changes.

Next, I went into the registry and deleted the UpperFilter values for the keyboard and mouse drivers. Code 32 was gone for HID keyboard driver and the HID mouse driver. But now the ps/2 keyboard driver and the synaptics smbus driver now had a code 10.

After removing and reconnecting my wireless mouse's usb, I noticed that fixed drivers come and go with it, so I tried to find the drivers for the mouse to try a manual reinstall for my mouse. Couldn't find them, (Logitech's website was of no help).

So I got Driver Booster to help me. The program said my PC had a lot of outdated drivers, so I decided to let the program update them all in hopes it would fix both the code 10 and let my mouse work again.

And that's how the touchscreen stopped responding. Driver Booster had paused while downloading the driver for the Bluetooth as Windows Defenders stopped it. When I tried to allow the download, I notice my only method of interacting with my PC had failed.

I force shut down the PC in hopes that the problem would be fixed. Didn't work.

So now, I cannot use the touchscreen, wireless mouse, touch pad nor keyboard. As far as I can tell, everything else is fine.

I bought a new mouse in hopes it might be able to connect today; it also failed to work.

So, if anyone knows another way to input commands, I would be very grateful.

I have taken my laptop partial apart before to clean out dust, so if there's a way to fix this by taking the hard drive out, please let me know. I do not mind losing files; While I would be sad over a few things, most are backed up elsewhere.

If there is no way at all to do this myself, advice about where to go to for repairs and estimated cost would be nice.
1 REPLY 1
CustomerNumXX1 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop Keyboard, TouchPad, Touchscreen and Wireless Mouse do not work

UPDATE:

Okay, I found that there was a way to force the PC into recovery mode without any buttons.

I took out the battery, forced a shut down, and unplugged the power cord when I turned it on. After replugging the power and powering up, it went into recovery.

Touchscreen and keyboard worked in recovery mode, was too excited to test TouchPad and mice.

Anyways, I'm resetting the PC now. Hopefully this fixes it all.

I'm somewhat leary of doing updates, however. Reading around online, some had this issue for their keyboards and mice due to Windows 10 hybrid shutdown and fast startup. I'm going to try to turn that off, update everything, and hope that fixes everything.

Will update status later.

Hope anyone having similar issues find this useful.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation