Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion g4 i5-3230M 2.6GHz Quad Core
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have this Pavilion g4, i5-3230M, 2.6GHz Quad Code laptop that was scrapped due to garbled monitor, only shows streaks and lines and white, like those old TVs when it can't receive signals. I kept it for a while for me to do further tests later on.

Laptop servicing is not my trade, just a sideline to my main work. So I confirmed that there is nothing intelligible showing on the screen when laptop firmware is in Legacy/CSM mode. But there is display output when using the VGA and HDMI ports.

As I am tinkering with UEFI mode, it was a surprise for me to see the screen work, but the display is not centered. The screen is very clear and stable, but the display is shifted like 1 cm down and 2 cm left. I was able to install Windows 10, and the display somehow shifts when the resolution is changed to a lower value. Native resolution is 1280 x 800, and this is the shifted down and left scenario. The Taskbar is not visible in this case. However, changing the resolution to 1280 x 768 will shift the display a bit upward and rightward, and the Taskbar shows around 3/4 of the height. Time shows, but not the date.

Then finally, I tested Ubuntu. Surprisingly, the screen did not present any problem at all. Full screen and properly centered, and everything is 'normal'.

Also, during installation, be it Windows or Linux, the display is all normal. It is only when Windows has booted up that the problem comes. I would appreciate any help that I can get to fix this problem as I am sure the laptop screen is functional. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @PrfyVdlxSg

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Hold the Function key(Fn) from your keyboard and press the space bar.

Now use the space bar to adjust and set the normal setting according to your choice.

Try the steps recommended below.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Try updating the BIOS and graphics driver on your PC to the latest version using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

1) Press Win+R (Windows logo key and R key) at the same time to invoke the run box.
2) Type devmgmt.msc click OK.
3) Expand the “Display adapters” category. Under this category, right-click the graphics card (In this case, the video device is Intel HD Graphics.) and click Uninstall.
4) When prompted to confirm device uninstall, click OK (click the box next to Delete the driver software for this device if you see this option).
5) Reboot your PC and check to see if the problem is resolved.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @A4Apollo.

First of all, thank you very much for your reply. And for giving me several suggestions to help check on the problem as stated.

However, I don't understand what you meant by 'product number'. I have already mentioned that the laptop in question is a Pavilion g4 i5-3230M Quad Core 2.6GHz laptop. It is a Pavilion g4-2308tx. Anything other than that, you let me know how to check, and I will provide the information requested.

As for all the suggestions:

1. Function key (fn) and space bar - no effect

2. Reset BIOS Settings to default - no help

3. Uninstall of device drivers - no help

4. HP Assistant - everything updated, including BIOS.

I was actually suspecting the graphics chip in the motherboard, so since I have another unit that is also scrapped due to other problems, I took the motherboard and did a swap. Did not help, as the display in Windows is still shifted down and left.

I'm all ears for anything else I can do to check and fix the display problem. So feel free to throw me the next suggestion(s).

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@PrfyVdlxSg,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Even I think it sounds like an issue with the graphics card.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Take Care!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.