Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17t 2019
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Synaptics TouchPad is not reliable, or too hard to control. Driver = 19.5.10.75 RevD (11/9/18). Is there a simpler, easy-to-use driver? Or may I replace it with a driver from another source? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @John_Jones,

Have you tried checking with an external mouse? Does the issue persist?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try updating the BIOS and touchpad drivers on your PC and check if it helps.

You can update the drivers on the PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Also, Try the steps recommended below.

Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (of current selected plan) -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> USB Selective Suspend Setting -> Disable (both)

Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (of current selected plan) -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> PCI-Express -> Link State Power Management -> Disable (both) 

Pointing settings allow you to adjust how the pointer moves in response to your gestures. Pointing includes Sensitivity, Momentum, and Accessibility features.

To customize these settings from the properties page, click the Arrow icon  to the left of Pointing to open the Pointing options.

The Sensitivity options allow you to adjust the responsiveness of the TouchPad to the pressure of your touch. Click to highlight Sensitivity.

Sensitivity on the properties page

Clicking the Settings icon  opens a window that allows you to control how much finger pressure must be applied before the TouchPad responds.

Sensitivity settings window

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try the steps recommended below.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

Refer this article to know more information about using the touchpad. Click Here

Let me know if this helps! 
Happy Holidays! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Logitech M325 external mouse works very well, cheap and simple. As I get more accustomed to this new laptop/OS I'll go back and try to fine-tune the TouchPad. Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi! @John_Jones,

Thanks for the update.

Please follow the settings suggested in my previous post to make changes on the touchpad.

If you have any concerns, please write back to us we will try our best to help you out.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.