Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14bk154sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my laptop can see that the monitor is there but no matter what we do there is a black screen, have tried multiple HDMI cables, works on other HP laptops, updated all drivers, completely rebooted my laptop from scratch but nothing seems to work.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @millysphotos,

Just wondering, if you go to Settings > System > Display, what do you see? If you select the monitor with the number "2," what information is provided? Furthermore, if you scroll down, what is the Multiple displays setting set to? 

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

When I go into advanced display settings and select the monitor i can see its name, resolution, refresh rate, bit depth, colour format and colour space. The multiple display setting is set to extend but i have tried this time and time again changing that setting but nothing happens the monitor screen remains black. @eddyk

HP Recommended

Ok, assuming the monitor is working perfectly fine and it has button controls, could you use the buttons on the monitor to reset the settings to default?

Then on the laptop, go to Settings > System > Display > Advanced Display Settings (for the monitor) and try changing the refresh rate.

HP Recommended

Yes monitor works fine with my elite book but neither of my pavilions. I tried resetting the monitor already 

HP Recommended

Ok, could you give me the full model names of the Elitebook and the monitor?

HP Recommended

It’s the elite book 850G5 and elite display E233 monitor 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.