Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Native display has always been to dim and dingy.  Almost yellowish.  Much dimmer than external extended monitor

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JIF415, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

As I understand the color does not appear as it normally should,

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Have you attempted to check if this issue appears on an alternate/external monitor?
  • Did you attempt to calibrate the color settings on your windows?

If not, We'll use the Windows Color Management settings to walk through the steps of calibrating your display. The steps below are for Windows 10.

Before you start, make sure your monitor has been on for at least half an hour, so it's warmed up properly, and clean your monitor.

1. Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings

display settings

2. Click "Advanced display settings" at the bottom of the settings window.

display settings advanced

3. Verify that your monitor is set to the recommended, native resolution. If it's not, set it to the recommended resolution at least for this calibration process.

display settings resolution

4. Click "Color calibration" at the bottom of the advanced display settings window.

display settings color calibration

5. Click Next to start the color calibration.

calibration1

The wizard will walk you through adjusting your color settings. You'll:

• Set the display to the factory default color settings, if your monitor allows you to do that
  • Adjust your display's gamma to match a sample image

calibration gamma

• Adjust the brightness and contrast

calibration brightness

Adjust the color balance

calibration balance

6. At the end of the wizard, click Finish to save your settings.

calibration finish

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

However, as mentioned in my post, the native display is much diommer than the external monitor, (One at homme, different one at office), both of which are clear and bright as they should be.  SO it's definitely the monitor.

I did try the calibration utility already.  The thing is... one of the "tests" or baselines is a set of three  pictures which they post on the screen and say "it should look like the middle one".  However, if my display is already off/dim, how can I use that as a guide?

In any case, the calibration didn't seem to help.

Last year, I actually sent back the new laptop for repair under warranty for this reason, and they clsaimed they fixed it or replaced the monitor;  however, they did NOTHING.

I've opened up a new Cust service repair order (awaiting box to send back in) but I REALLY don't want to be without ny laptop for 8-10 days!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.