Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. This started to happen presumably after some Windows update installation.

When I'm connecting my Dock Station (HP USB-C Dock G4) to my laptop (HP EliteBook 840 G5) the laptop screen freezes and stops responding to keyboard or mouse.

This only happens if the monitors are attached to the dock station (I have 1 monitor connected via HDMI, and another via DVI, both monitors are HP Pavilion 23xi). If I connect the dock station without monitors, then charging begins and wired Ethernet connection appears i everything fine.

If I try to connect one monitor to the dock station, then the laptop freezes, but eventually (after 10-15 min!) it becomes active again and I see picture on both laptop's builtin screen and the connected monitor. But if I try to connect both external monitors to the dock station - laptop freezes and remains as such.

I've updated all drivers through "HP Support Assistant" app,

I've updated laptop BIOS pack (version 01.09.01),

I've updated Dock station firmware (version F.37),

I've updated Intel Video drivers (version 26.20.100.7263)

and I have Windows 10 Enterprise x64 1909 (Build 18363.535) with all updates installed from Microsoft Update Center).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Had the same issue....

Problem is in the Intel videodriver (again really intel??? - we already had an issue on HP mini computers last month).

Installed 25.20.100.6472 (two versions back). This works fine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I'm seeing the exact same issue on an Elitebook 840 G5.  I had some success with changing video drivers (AMD in particular, not the Intel one) but it didn't last long.

The laptop completely freezes when attached to a dock with any monitors connected (disconnect the monitors from the dock and the laptop will resume).

It does this on the following docks:-

Lenovo USB-C Dock

Lenovo USB-C Gen 2 Dock

Kensington SD4600P

Latest bios, drivers for Intel and AMD don't resolve the issue.  I'm suspicious that it may have started after the latest Bios update but that's just a guess.

HP Recommended

We're seeing the same issue on the Elitebook 830 G5's as well on the HP USB-C Dock G4. Our observations are consistent with what JamesHi and YGritsan are reporting. Upgrading the BIOS to version 1.09.01 appears to temporarily resolve the issue until the next day when the user attempts to boot their PC and connect to the dock. The notebook does freeze, or at least refuses to accept I/O until the USB-C dock connection is disconnected, then everything is fine. Additionally, the monitors connected through the USB-C dock are blank when the computer is connected to the dock. 

HP Recommended

I've found that if I uninstall the AMD and Intel drivers (and disable internet access) and the install the latest Intel driver (from Intel site) only it will work until the computer is restarted or goes to sleep (anything that causes the video signal to be dropped) then it will be broken again.

It's clearly only an issue with the USB-C port though.  I have a HP 2013 slim dock which uses the dock interface on the bottom of the Notebook and this works perfectly.

HP Recommended

Had the same issue....

Problem is in the Intel videodriver (again really intel??? - we already had an issue on HP mini computers last month).

Installed 25.20.100.6472 (two versions back). This works fine.

HP Recommended

I confirm that solution. I have just downloaded and installed 25.20.100.6472 Intel driver from HP support page for my laptop, rebooted and the dock station connects fine with 2 displays attached.

Thank you, Spike631! Unfortunately, I've already ordered new dock station.

HP Recommended

Can confirm that the older driver is working for me too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.