2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop screen backlight temperamental

pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello everybody. 

I'm hoping to get suggestions on what may be causing this issue.

When I turn on the laptop, the screen works but there is no backlight. Then I connect a monitor, and that turns the backlight on. Then I can disconnect monitor, and use laptop normally until I turn it off.

Once it (backlight) came on by itself, once it came on after coming out of standby, and once it came on as if nothing was wrong straight away.

Any ideas?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. This laptop has been an absolute legend, i've had it for a few years and I'm extremely impressed with its resistance. It has been dropped while on from table height at least 3 times without any damage. It has survived a burst pipe leaking onto the keyboard for hours and then being turned on while wet - producing a nice electric burn smell. But I just dried it out and then it was good to go again. The touchpad left and right click buttons are long gone but that doesn't bother me too much. It's shabby but it works and I love it, it's like Jason Vorhees. 

1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
15,765 14,098 713 1,904
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop screen backlight temperamental

Hi @edalc,

Welcome to the HP Forum!  🙂   Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. What is your specific model of Pavilion DV6?  HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I gather that the display backlight does not come on automatically, but if you connect an external monitor the backlight comes on and will remain on after disconnecting the external monitor.  It did come on by itself ,once when coming out of standby and once normally.  It sounds as if it might be the display having some issues starting the backlight. Connecting the external seem to give it the kick start to work.  You can run hardware tests on the display but it may need to be replaced soon.  Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista). Please keep me updated.

If this has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful for my post, kindly click the Thumbs Up” below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation