Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received this new HP Spectre x360 15 Convertible (7PU81AV) and HP USB-C Dock G5 (5TW10UT#ABA). When I have the laptop docked to the G5 Dock via Thunderbolt USB-C I want to just use my external dual monitor / keyboard / mouse. I want to leave the laptop off to the side of my desk, out of the way. But when the laptop boots it enables the laptop display even if the lid is down. The only way to log in is to open the laptop lid, do the face thing or PIN thing, get three displays (the laptop display and my dual monitors), and the close the laptop lid. Only then does the system revert to just the external dual monitor setup.

I have updated to the latest firmware for the G5 Dock and the HP Support Assistant got all my other drivers up to date.

The only thing a little bit unusual about my setup is that I went ahead and got the NVidia GeForce GTX 1650Ti display adapter. I am guessing most folks don't opt for this.

Any ideas? I am out of ideas. I'd hate to have to send this back. My older HP laptop docked just fine.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@bbaggerman 

7PU81AV is an invalid code as shown

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=7PU81AV

Anyway. Please setup to use ONE of your external monitor as main display. Machine will use THAT display and you can forget the lid. You can use the dock to power on your machine as a TRUE single cable setup.

Note: I don't know your machine because invalid above, assuming its charger is under 100W.

Regards.

you can forget the laptop screen and the lid. Machine will display that external screen when boot up.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip about the setting the main display. I now see the login screen at boot time on my external display. A problem is that is still have 3 display screens at boot time, the two external displays and the (closed) laptop display. If I am not careful my cursor can get lost in the closed laptop display that I can't see. If I open and close the laptop lid the extraneous laptop display goes away.

As for the "invalid product code", I don't know why HP Part Surfer doesn't know about 7PU81AV. It is the product code directly copied (Ctl-C / Ctl-V) from my invoice. And hp.com/support finds it when I put it in the search box.

HP Recommended

I have seen in several message threads that it has been asserted that the HP USB-C Dock G5 is not supported for HP Spectre X360. Any idea if that is truly the case?

HP Recommended

The HP Support Assistant reports my product number as 7MQ42AV. This is different than the product number on the invoice. HP Part Surfer is a lot happier with this product number.

HP Recommended

@bbaggerman 

I don't know your machine therefore I can't comment on this. My machine which is an DP Envy 15-ee0xxx machine is compatible with my USB-C Gen 5 dock. Fully tested.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.