Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 440 G3
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, so I updated my BIOS on my Hp ProBook 440 G3 computer and now I get a 4 Blink LED. I took it to a repairman near me and I described my problem, and he said it was a bad virus? If it's a "bad virus" can I just put a new hard drive in?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Try a hard reset. Remove battery and AC power and hold down power button 20 seconds; now connect AC adapter and turn on (or try to). If all you get is flashing LED the computer is not posting to where it is even initializing the hard drive. The repairman near you has misdiagnosed to be charitable...it seems more like a failed BIOS flash and if he were any kind of repairman he would be talking to you about emergency recovery of the BIOS. Post back if you want to discuss possibilities. But not looking good. 

HP Recommended

I tried the hard reset. Did not work. So, emergency recovery of the bios?

HP Recommended

Start reading here.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

There may be a way to recover the BIOS using a special flash drive and some key combinations on powering up. 

HP Recommended

Is the BIOS even the problem? I get the 4 blink LED code which means graphics controller is not functional.

HP Recommended

The fact that it happened right after a BIOS update tends to point toward BIOS. Did it boot at least once after the BIOS flash? If so it is not a bad BIOS flash and it may be the video which would essentially mean a new motherboard. 

HP Recommended

I tried what it said in the document, and I don't know what happened.... I plugged the USB in and did windows key and B and it did 2 blinks and the LEDs stopped blinking. No more blink codes. There's still no display on the screen though. Also it never booted after the BIOS update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.