cancel
tubowski Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop won't use dedicated graphics card (Radeon R7 m260)

HP Pavilion 15-p110nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a laptop HP Pavilion 15-p110nr:

AMD A10-5745M with AMD Radeon HD 8610G 768MB integrated graphics card
AMD Radeon R7 M260 2GB (dedicated graphics card)
6GB RAM
Windows 8.1 64 bit

The problem is that the laptop refuses to make any use of the R7 m260... for video games and everything, it's always using the integrated HD 8610G.

The laptop detects the R7 card, as it is shown in the device manager, as well as a 'linked card' on the CCC and on other programs like AMD System Monitor. But the card simply doesn't do it's job, it doesn't start working. I've used the AMD System Monitor to check if it had any activity, and it's always 0.

I have read many other posts on the internet about people with the same problem, and I've tried every solution that people suggested, without any luck:

- I have used the Catalyst Control Center to control the Switchable Graphics and set my games to high performance. This should make the R7 be the main graphics card for that videogame, but it doesn't work. There's also a switchable graphics monitor in the CCC, I activate it to see what card is being used when playing a game, but even the monitor doesn't work! it doesn't show the game's .exe (I've tried different games like GTA V, Skyrim or TDU2).

- I've read you can just disable the integrated graphics card on the BIOS, but I don't have that option on my BIOS... And if I disable it on the Windows Device Manager, the R7 still doesn't start working, but instead, the computer uses some 'Microsoft Basic Render'... which of course you can't use for gaming, as the FPS will be 0,00001.

- I've tried like 4 different drivers for the graphics card, the newest, the beta drivers for GTA V, the latest from the HP website for my laptop's model, and an older version. Still, the R7 doesn't show any activity anywhere. Every time I changed drivers, I used the Removal Tool (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove everything completely before the new installation.

- I've also read that there should be an option (I think this is only for Nvidia graphic cards) to shift+right click on a game, and click an option like 'run with dedicated graphics card'. I of course don't have this option.

- I have also set my laptop to use a high performance profile of settings on the battery section, as I read this could affect whether the computer will use one card or the other, but no change.

Why isn't my laptop making use of the R7 m260??? What else can I try?

9 REPLIES 9
tubowski Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any help please?

0 Kudos
Seninel_Jack Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 2
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, Tubowski

I have the same problem. My HP Pavilion 15 laptop won't use my R7. I contacted HP about this and what they tried to do is uninstall and reinstall the R7 from the device manager and then they wanted to uptade the BIOS. You can try doing that but I reccomend you contact HP first via chat. They will do most of the work by sharing the computer. In my case however, they told me that since my R7 wasn't being utilized. They issued a repair so they can make the R7 my primary card. I did this all today in about two hours. If you do decide to contact HP, make sure you have the product No., serial No. and any other info on your computer. If they do repair it, it will require to be reset to factory conditions. Please feel free to ask me any questions. Your post really helped me provide info to HP, so hopefully they can help you too.

tubowski Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, Seninel_Jack, thank you very much for your reply!

I forgot to add in my post that I actually did update my BIOS by downloading the driver for my laptop from the HP website, but that also didn't change anything (at least there was nothing new that my eyes could see).

They are going to physically try to fix your computer or I misunderstood that part?

I would definitely contact them via chat, could you please tell me where exactly I can do that?

If they do have to fix it physically, I might have a problem I think... Tell me your opinion:

I bought my computer while I was living in Russia, but now I'm back in my country (Spain). Would they be able to take care of it in my country, even though the computer and therefore the warranty and papers etc are from Russia?

I hope we can get this problem fixed soon. Thanks again for your reply.

0 Kudos
Seninel_Jack Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 2
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, Tubowski.

My laptop is going to be physically repaired, HP is going to send me a box so I can ship it to them.

For chat assistance, you may want to look for opions in your region. If not you can call them, I'm sure they will be able to help. It is easier if you can chat with them since they will take control of your computer and do everything for you. You may not need a physical repair. If you do need to get your computer repaired, you may need to back up your files. I've had my laptop for a week so I don't need to back up. You will have to set your laptop to factory settings.

Hopefully they will be able to help. Give them all the information you can so they can help you. 

0 Kudos
hardeeps Student
Student
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bro how can i chat with them i am having same issue ..
0 Kudos
Seninel_Jack Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 2
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I haven't gotten this problem fixed after 2 repairs. I removed my hard drive from my laptop so my waranty is void. What I have done is setting stuff like games to very high settings. Sometimes, the fan will kick in and my laptop keeps up with certain games. I don't know if the R7 turns on or something but my laptop will somtimes run the same framerate with different settings.

0 Kudos
Fabi0_Z Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, that's a old post and maybe you have already solved the problem, but can be helpful for other people.

I had exactly the same problem on my 15-g224nl with a Radeon HD 8500M, i've tried everything and at the last i've find the solution

You need to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode with GPT partition, you can make it with rufus selecting the GPT option when you make the bootable USB, then you do a clean install formatting the entire hard disk and finally you can use the dedicated card without problems

0 Kudos
ThePurificator Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, Hello, i made an account here just to reply to you.  You said that you need to reinstall the windows in UEFI mode with GPT partition, and then the sistem will properly use the dedicated GPU. I have the same problem (but not with an HP product), but with the same specifications as the original dude said.  The GPU is showed as linked, but it does not do anything. I indeed installed my windows in legacy mode, and after i searched HOURS on the internet, your response with the reinstalling the windows in UEFI mode is the only one i could find.

0 Kudos
Fabi0_Z Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm not shure if it work also with product of over brands, but I think yes, try and let me know
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation