Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cw1507sa
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi, The left lower corner and the right side of my laptop screen is a very dark grey making it hard to read anything on that part of the screen. I'm not sure what I can do to rectify this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Mia2505,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

I undertsand the screen is darker on the left and right lower corner 

To assist better -

• When was the last time it worked without these issues? 
  • • Have you updated Graphics and Chipset drivers? 
  • • Have you checked the display on an external monitor? 

Let’s try these steps to resolve the problem:

I recommend you attempt to access the BIOS screen by tapping on F10 while the computer is restarting,  If the issue persists in the BIOS screen which is outside windows, it would confirm a hardware failure.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi

Thank you for you advice. Im sorry for the delay in replyig, I have been busy and then away on holiday. 

I have not updated any drivers, it last worked properly before it did a new windows update.

I have tried to press f10 on startup of the computer and it doesnt bring the BIOS box up? I have tried many times?

Thank you 

Mia

HP Recommended

Follow the instructions to verify the issue in safe mode-

Enter Safe Mode at startup

Follow the steps below to start Windows Vista in Safe Mode.

Remove all CDs and DVDs from the computer.

Restart the computer.

At the first screen on restart, before the HP or Windows logo appears, press the f8 key repeatedly.

When prompted, select the Safe Mode with Networking option.

Log onto the computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

Enter Safe Mode when PC is operating

If the computer can boot into the Vista operating system, follow the steps below to enter Safe Mode.

Click Start, type msconfig in the search field, and then press the enter to open the System Configuration window.

On the General tab of the System Configuration window, select Diagnostic startup.

On the Boot tab, select Safe boot and click OK.

When prompted, click Restart to start the computer in Safe Mode.

If the computer does not restart automatically, press the Power button to turn the power on.

On the Tools tab of the System Configuration window, select and launch the desired diagnostic tool.

The computer is now operating in Safe Mode.

Exit the Safe Mode

After completing the required troubleshooting and repair, follow the steps below to exit Safe Mode and return to normal operation.

Click Start, type msconfig in the search field, and then press enter to open the System Configuration window.

On the General tab of the System Configuration window, select Normal startup and click OK

Let me know how this goes

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.