Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-bf008na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recent issue with my HP Pavilion - 14-bf008na and Windows 10. When I update Windows (either periodic updates or for example trying to upgrade to the new Windows 20h2) I lose my HDMI port - by this I mean the external monitor I use is no no longer recognised (the laptop display works fine)

I have of course checked my HDMI cable and a different HDMI monitor to no effect - showing the problem is with the port.

I've also tried updating the drivers but am told that the latest driver (Intel Graphics 620) is already installed. 

The only thing that works is to roll back the update on doing which the HDMI port works once again.

Windows update obviously does something to the display settings or card but I don't know what. 

I paused Windows update for now, but don't want to do this forever.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

Update to 20H2 again, and manually install the latest graphics driver directly from Intel.  Also make sure you manually update the HDMI audio driver.

See my knowledgebase article at the link below for how to do this...

Updating the Latest HD Graphics Driver from Intel...Skylake,... - HP Support Community - 7185608

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

Update to 20H2 again, and manually install the latest graphics driver directly from Intel.  Also make sure you manually update the HDMI audio driver.

See my knowledgebase article at the link below for how to do this...

Updating the Latest HD Graphics Driver from Intel...Skylake,... - HP Support Community - 7185608

HP Recommended

Thanks - I'll try it. One thing - what if I need to return to my system restore point but I've lost my display? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I doubt you will completely lose your display, but if for some reason you do, boot into Safe mode and run the system restore utility from there.

Here's how to boot into safe mode...Method 4 or 5.

How To Boot Into Safe Mode in Windows 10 (2021) (windowsloop.com)

We'll cross the method 5 bridge if and when we come to it.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much Paul, it seems to have done the trick. Just installed 20H2 and still have my HDMI port. 

No more anxiety when Windows says an update is due! 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

If you install the Intel driver and support assistant software, it will automatically notify you of any updates to certain devices like the graphics.

It will also automatically install the latest graphics driver without you having to manually install it.

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

HP Recommended

Paul, wondering if you can help again as my problem has reoccured. 

I noticed today that I was getting no sound from my HMDI connection not a big deal as I can switch to headphone output but I stupidly clicked 'troubleshoot' to see if it turned up anything. It did something and now when I've restarted I've lost my HDMI output again. 

I've tried re-installing as per your guide but device manager tells me the best drivers are already installed - indeed the intel driver support assistant shows I'm up to date. Is there anyway to retrace my steps?

HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to roll back the driver or go to back to the system restore point you made and see if that installs the old Intel graphics driver so you can update it again.

Don't forget to update the Intel HD audio driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all your help but I've tried rolling back the driver, uninstalling and re-installing all to no avail. Very frustrating. 

I lost my system restore point somehow - I  think because I set the restore point, then updated to 20H2? I might try rolling back windows then starting again. 

HP Recommended

Yes, that would be your only other option.

Next time, create the system restore point after you upgrade to 20H2, then install the graphics driver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.