Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
ElleW Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Memory Card Reader Problem

Pavilion P5P73EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There seems to be a problem with the memory card reader, until last weekend it was working perfectly for the 3 cameras I hve memory cards for. As soon as I put a card in [either 32gb or 16gb] the following message appeared. This card needs formatting. 

I didn't format but when I put the card back in the 1st camera the screen flashed... Memory Card Error. I then tried the card from my 2nd camera and the same thing happened... message appeared on laptop screen...this card needs formatting, then when put back into camera... Memory Card Error appeared.

I find it very hard to believe that it's a coincidence as it's happened with two different Canon digi cameras and two different cards?

Are the cards corrupted now? Is the memory card reader faulty and is it the cause? 

I am very reluctant to put the memory card in from my 3rd camera into the reader slot, as the cost of replacing the other two Sandisk Memory Cards will be expensive enough.

4 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome @ElleW!

You have come to the right place to ask questions! I will do my absolute best to help you find a resolution to the SD Card not working when you put it into your Notebook. 

Do you know if any updates were done prior to the SD Cards not working?

Have you tried to do a System Restore back to when they were working properly?

I found some documentation for you that may be helpful. There is a document from HP called Using and Troubleshooting Memory Card Readers.

You had asked" Are the cards corrupted now? Is the memory card reader faulty and is it the cause? 

I am very reluctant to put the memory card in from my 3rd camera into the reader slot, as the cost of replacing the other two Sandisk Memory Cards will be expensive enough."  

At this time, I cannot answer those questions with 100% definitive answers, what I can do is provide you with troubleshooting that may help us figure out the answers to those questions together. 

First I would like you to follow the troubleshooting section called Formatting memory cards  in the above document. This section may be very helpful for you since you had mentioned the error stating formatting. 

Then please take a look at the section that says Memory cards appear in Windows but errors occur when writing or reading

Card reader drivers can become corrupted or stop functioning correctly, and new drivers and firmware are occasionally released to address issues. 

Have you tried to use the HP Support Assistant to ensure that all of your drivers are updated?

Have you done your Windows Updates?

Have you tried to run the Microsoft Hardware Troubleshooter? If not, please try:

• Search for Troubleshooting
  • Click on Troubleshooting
  • Select Hardware and Sound
  • Select Hardware and Devices
  • Click Next
  • Follow the instructions.  

Have you tried to uninstall the SD card reader from the Device Manager? If not, please try that and then restart your Notebook twice. 

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
ElleW Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for replying EmeraldAvenger

Do you know if any updates were done prior to the SD Cards not working? Yes 3 updates were done between 13th and 17th June

Have you tried to do a System Restore back to when they were working properly?  Yes with no success

I found some documentation for you that may be helpful. There is a document from HP called Using and Troubleshooting Memory Card Readers.

You had asked" Are the cards corrupted now? Is the memory card reader faulty and is it the cause? 

I am very reluctant to put the memory card in from my 3rd camera into the reader slot, as the cost of replacing the other two Sandisk Memory Cards will be expensive enough."  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards to the following suggestions below: I haven't had chance to go through them yet, but I will do tomorrow

At this time, I cannot answer those questions with 100% definitive answers, what I can do is provide you with troubleshooting that may help us figure out the answers to those questions together. 

First I would like you to follow the troubleshooting section called Formatting memory cards  in the above document. This section may be very helpful for you since you had mentioned the error stating formatting. 

Then please take a look at the section that says Memory cards appear in Windows but errors occur when writing or reading

Card reader drivers can become corrupted or stop functioning correctly, and new drivers and firmware are occasionally released to address issues. 

Have you tried to use the HP Support Assistant to ensure that all of your drivers are updated?  No

Have you done your Windows Updates? Yes

Have you tried to run the Microsoft Hardware Troubleshooter? If not, please try: Not sure if I have done this one, maybe not

• Search for Troubleshooting
  • Click on Troubleshooting
  • Select Hardware and Sound
  • Select Hardware and Devices
  • Click Next
  • Follow the instructions.  

Have you tried to uninstall the SD card reader from the Device Manager? If not, please try that and then restart your Notebook twice.   No

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up I will

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.  I will

I went into the store I bought the laptop from and I am taking it back to them on Wednesday when I have backed up all my documents and pictures. The techie chap there seemed to think it sounded very much as if a faulty SD Card Reader .

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, 

You had said "I went into the store I bought the laptop from and I am taking it back to them on Wednesday when I have backed up all my documents and pictures. The techie chap there seemed to think it sounded very much as if a faulty SD Card Reader". 

I am glad that you were able to talk to a technician at the store you had purchased the Notebook from. 

I truly hope that you are able to come to a resolution :)

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
ElleW Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I haven't been able to take the laptop into the store yet to get advice. I will post an update when I have.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation