cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Dougal13
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Monitor connections

HP Recommended
Pavilion 27 Quantum Dot
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought a Quantum Dot monitor on the assumption I could connect my XPS 13 laptop via USB-C to USB-C but the monitor is not receiving any signal.  I'm using a Belkin cable.  Should it work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EddyK
Level 11
Level 11
2,977 1,695 396 1,088
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, I can tell already from the price of the Belkin cable that it is not a Thunderbolt 3 cable. It doesn't provide the exact specifications but it seems like it's for charging only.

If you wanted a USB-C to USB-C solution, you would need something like this:

Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 Cable in Black 0.8m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
4 REPLIES 4
EddyK
Level 11
Level 11
2,977 1,695 396 1,088
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Dougal13,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Can you please send the link to the product page of the Belkin USB-C to USB-C cable? For these types of purposes, (connecting laptop and high definition monitor) it's best to use a Thunderbolt 3 cable. Also, if possible, please try connecting to the monitor through a different input type (such as HDMI), just to ensure that the monitor and laptop is OK.

Kind regards,

Edward

Dougal13
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Edward,

USB-C cable here Buy BELKIN USB-C to USB-C Cable - 2 m | Free Delivery | Currys

Bought a USB-C to HDMI converter and monitor works fine so no longer important but be good to know why the USB-C connection did not work?

Kind regards

D

EddyK
Level 11
Level 11
2,977 1,695 396 1,088
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, I can tell already from the price of the Belkin cable that it is not a Thunderbolt 3 cable. It doesn't provide the exact specifications but it seems like it's for charging only.

If you wanted a USB-C to USB-C solution, you would need something like this:

Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 Cable in Black 0.8m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

View solution in original post

Dougal13
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Eddy.  Pity HP don't just say it needs to be a Thunderbolt cable and saved me time and cash.

Hey ho !!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation