Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15t-k000 CTO Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a "HP ENVY 15t-k000 CTO Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)". laptop works fine as long as its stationary but when moved or lifted off the screen freezes and gets stuck. I had to restart the system to recover from being stuck. Could someone please guide me in narrowing down on what the problem might be and how to fix it!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Kurella

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Does this happen while in BIOS? Tapping the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen is supposed to get you to the menu of options. Then select the F10 option to access the BIOS.

If the issue doesn't occur while on BIOS, let's update the BIOS, Chipset and graphics, card drivers and check in a new user account:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-k000-notebook-pc/6936206/model/7174348

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04648962/, go to "Creating a new account".

If the issue does occur in BIOS, run an extensive system test on the PC and get back to us with the results:

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Let me know.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty0610, 

I have extensively searched for related posts of same model laptop with exact same problem, most of them being posted in 2017, and have tried all the options being suggested including the following
1) No, freezing does not occur while in BIOS. Everything works fine as along as one does not lift the laptop (applying pressure on the bottom portion is causing laptop to freeze). I have updated the BIOS, performed the Memory check, component check, UEFI hardware diagnostics and everything seems fine.

I have reinstalled the OS and there is nothing wrong with the Hard-drive (I can be sure of it). 

In reference to the following post "https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Envy-15-freezes-when-moved/m-p/618...", applying a cooling agent doesn't seem to solve my problem (not that I have tried) because the cooling fan is ON even when the system freezes. 

After an extensive search I have come to a conclusion that either it have to be something wrong with the motherboard components which might have made it sensitive to motion (being moved or lifted from a stationary surface). I do not see any fix after having tried almost all the options on what might be casuing the pressure sensitiveness. Has it got something to do with the cooling agent between the processor and the heat sink system in combination with the cooling fan that is casuing the problem (that doesn't seem logical to me)?

Please leave any further suggestions you have on addressing this issue

HP Recommended

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team if you've moved the PC around during the time you spent in BIOS or during the h/w test and yet the issue persists.

Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI all,

Topic: Problem solved in my case (solution found!!!) 

I have found a solution to my laptop problem. In the beginning I wanted change my HDD with SSD to improve the performance and I was hoping it to fix the laptop freezing problem when moved. I updated my storage but the problem persisted. I was deeply exploring all the problems related to this specific problem (HP Envy 15t K000 being frozen when moved) on the HP community I have tried all the possible solutions being suggested and then concluded it to be either a problem with the motherboard or heatsink (referring to the T-mat's following post https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Envy-15-freezes-when-moved/m-p/618..., where having thermal paste fixed the problem in his case )  (In my case I knew the problem is not related to software, as I have reinstalled a new OS and tried all the software debugs being suggested in HP community that I have tried came clean). After investing quite sometime I have accepted to live with the problem and keep using the laptop. But after thinking on the issue for a week and discussing about it with a colleague, we have concluded it most such cases it has to do something with the cooling fan, as fan is the only moving part in my entire laptop and the laptop works fine as long as its stationary. In the following weekend I have decided to clean the internal cooling fan and see if it fixes the problem (which is today). It worked!! I have tried moving the laptop, lifting it in all weird positions while in use and it does not freeze. I no longer hear a heavy cooling fan sound anymore. 

Bottom line: There was a lot of dust stuck in the metal vent adjacent to the cooling fan which I think was intervening with the cooling process, when tilted the dust made the cooling degrade even further which caused the laptop to freeze. Cleaning the laptop cooling fan, part of the laptop maintenance solved the issue. I will however keep my laptop under observation for a week, to see if it really solved the problem and update the post. If you see no further follow-up to this post from me, consider it to be a solution that worked.

Note: I have been using the laptop since 4 and half years, I started to experience the 'freeze' issue since past 4 to 5 months. 

Hope this helps someone else too. Thanks to everyone who shared their problems, ideas and solutions. 

HP Recommended

Greetings. 

I have a Pavillion p077tx. I started to get the same problem when upgraded to windows 10. It's not just the screen that gets stuck, the whole pc gets crashed - audio, video everything. I decided to live with the problem and not to move it, but for some other reasons I had to revert to windows 8.1. The problem "did not persist in windows 8.1". It was kind of miraculously solved. But when I clean installed windows 10 again the problem persists again. Are there some kind of accelerometer or gyro sensors in the laptop? 

My bios is kind of corrupt and not able to repair even with windows 10 disk. I did try updating it but it did not accept any updates. Every time I turn the laptop on I get the error code 0xc000034. I merely press escape and continue to boot up. 

HP Recommended

@vynateya2496

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's create a local account: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

If the issue persists, backup all important/personal files and perform a system reset:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.