Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15”
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion laptop, Windows 10, intel graphics UHD 620 with a docking station. Ive returned and tried new and even a 2nd docking station. Updated drivers for the graphics card and the dock. The port is usb3 and so is the dock. I’ve tried different monitors; same issue. The cables are brand new and are HDMI to Display and DVI to Display. Ive restarted after updating drivers and searched manually when it said they are already updated. i even downloaded an hp display assistant app, no help and let intel scan my whole system for driver updates. I even tried different laptops and the issue is there still. the monitors are hp ZR2440w and I searched for drivers for them and that didnt work (supposedly I shouldnt need one) Everything is new and the drivers are good, this is so frustrating, what the heck am I missing when this should be plug and play? Thanks for the help!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@seth138 

We need to know what the full model or product number is of your Pavilion.

You can find it in the hp support assistant.

Like wise, we need to know what dock you are using.

Thanks

HP Recommended

HP Laptop 15-bs1xx, according to HP assistant. Thank you so much for replying! I'm pretty close to calling someone to my house. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not updating the correct driver or something.

HP Recommended

I doubt its a driver issue, but maybe. Sounds more like you either got some funky cables, or the card is wonky.

I'm going with cables to check first. If you have a different cable and adapter you could possibly try, I would do that first.

HP Recommended

HP Laptop 15-bs1xx is what HP support assistant says.

HP Recommended

That is the series number actually. The series number doesn't give me specifics.

Its better to use the Product Number in the HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

3AX50UA#ABA is the laptop product number. The docking station is Brand: Plugable Model: UD-3900

HP Recommended

I'm thinking that would be less likely because they are brand new and the chances of them both being new and bad are low. Neither of the two external monitors are detected. I'm hoping that I just don't know **bleep** I'm doing. 

Here are snips where I'm updating drivers as I think I should be. The last is a list of the usb ports that I also went through and did all of. 

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_2.png

clipboard_image_3.png

HP Recommended

Sorry, I was answering two different monitor issues and must have gotten yours mixed up. Although its not uncommon to have a brand new cable not work, but usually not several.

Thanks for the model numbers, I was a little confused about your using USB for the video output to the panels until I read what the dock is. I don't know that I can help on this one. I don't have much faith in these oddball docks that make claims about using USB output and it might be it doesn't like your monitors for some reason.

I'm having to make "guesses" here since I'm not familiar with that dock and your setup seems to be sort of a wonky way to connect with.

• Did you try a different monitor (HDMI input but doesn't have VGA) to test with? According to their info page, their dock is not consistent if using a monitor that has a VGA connector, it might not want to recognize it. Although your Z2440 panels don't have VGA, there might be something else it doesn't like, since it does have a DVI input that is VGA compatible.
  • Did you go into the OSD Menu on the monitors and manually change the source? The cables... I'm confused as to what you are using since I'm not there to physically see how you connected them. You said you are using adapter cables HDMI to DisplayPort and DVI to DisplayPort? That might be an issue also. Change the source in the monitors to HDMI and then DisplayPort or DVI (which ever way you are converting) to test with. It might play better with straight HDMI to HDMI and so forth. That dock might not like those adapter cables. There might be an issue since your laptop doesn't have DisplayPort to begin with, even though the dock is supposed to convert signals.
  • You didn't happen to have another USB Video adapter connected prior to installing this new Dock did you? If so, those drivers need to be uninstalled first.

Other than that, I'm at a loss here. You might want to also ask their support team for further help with their product.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.