Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mouse pointer problems HP SPectre 360

HP Spectre 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This seems to be a common problem but none of the suggested solutions seem to work for long. Periodically the cursor will disappears then reappears top right of the screen and stays there, jumping around.  It affects both the touchpad and the wireless mouse rendering the machine unusable.   I've reinstalled the synapatics drivers, done hard resets, restored to factory settings and tried various other web suggestions. Some work for a while but the problems recurs. Machine is 5 months old and this problem has taken hours of my time.

I have Support Assistant, all drivers are up to date.  I really just want to retun it and buy something different but prepared to give another solution a go...

6 REPLIES 6
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16,304 15,895 906 1,018
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Grisgris

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are getting mouse pointer issue. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• When did this issue start?
  • Did you do any hardware or software changes?

Meanwhile

Check the Mouse options under control panel: 

Start → Control Panel → Mouse → Buttons tab.  

Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only."  

Also, check the box below labeled "Scroll in active window only." 

If the issue persists, attempt the below steps: 

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse.  

(If that works when the touchpad is disabled on Synaptic software, it would mean that it's a touchpad failure, 

However, if the external mouse doesn't work either, it could be a software/driver issue). 

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse: 

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled. 

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’. 

• 2.   Click Device Manager. 

• 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse. 

• 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall". 

• 5.   Restart your computer. 

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Grisgris Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi SandyTechy20 - thanks for your response. The problem began about a month after I bought the machine.  I had installed a lot of software like Scrivener and Endnote. 

The first time the mouse problems happened, I looked it up online and followed advice to reinstall the Synaptics drivers, which I did from the HP site. This fixed the problem for about three weeks.

When the problem reoccurred, I repeated the step above but the problem recurred after a few hours.  I went through the troubleshooting steps on the HP Support Assistant to the best of my ability but I've never been able to find the PalmCHeck Enhanced ACM that HP Support suggests turning off. 

When the mouse is working, the diagnostic tests show a "pass".  When it's not working, I can't barely manage to open them, let alone complete the test so it's a fail. 

The first couple of times the problem occurred, I could use a wireless mouse to dowload and reinstall drivers but the last few times, even the mouse is affected.  The only thing I can do is close the lid, which fixes the problem temporarily.  I've used the available time to do hard resets then, when they didn't work for long, a complete system restore. 

The problem reoccurred AFTER the system restore and BEFORE I'd installed any additional software.  I disabled the trackpad, updated the drivers again and restarted the machine.  So far, it's working fine which is why I can respond to you. But I feel it's only a matter of time before the problems reoccurs.

I've followed the steps you suggest, although I can't find the Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only."  or the check the box below labeled "Scroll in active window only." anywhere.

I'm trying to write a dissertaion to a tight deadline and these endless problems have left me seething and frustrated.  My preference is to return the machine to the store but I'll take any further advice you have. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16,304 15,895 906 1,018
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Grisgris

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort you took to resolve the issue.

Update the bios on the notebook.

Click here and refer the document to update the bios.

Download and run HP Support Assistant to update the chipset and the drivers.

You can refer this HP Document to download and know how to use HP Support Assistant.

Doing these steps should keep your notebook healthy and work perfectly.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mrosen78 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

did you ever fix the problem. I am experiencing the same issue.
Sent my Spectre in for repair, came back with the same problem.

0 Kudos
Grisgris Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes - I reinstalled the BIOS from the HP website. I’ve had the same problem again and either  fixed it the same way or installed an update from the HP site. 

0 Kudos
mrosen78 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, HP remotely installed all the updates and that didnt fix it.
I sent it in for service and a hardware replacement, that didnt fix it.
I just updated the BIOs myself and that didnt fix it.
Im at a loss.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation