Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15m-dr0011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop purchased from Best Buy in July 2019. HDMI port used to connect to TV monitor at work beginning August 2019. HDMI connection stopped working app. Oct-Nov 2019. Laptop taken to Best Buy- technician tested two monitors and HDMI cable connections with no successful connection. Laptop was sent for repairs- repair technician determined through testing that HDMI connection was working. Laptop sent back- first test with HDMI connection at work resulted in no successful connection. In Feb. 2020, laptop failed to start up at all, so was taken to Best Buy again with expedited repairs requested for startup issue and HDMI issue. Laptop was returned and would start up, but HDMI connections were still unsuccessful. Connection to TV at home via HDMI also resulted in no successful connections. 

In April 2020, discovered that updating BIOS would result in successful connection via HDMI to home TV about 80% of the time.

As can be seen, at least five different HDMI cables/monitors have been tested with success about 20% of the time.

Graphics drivers have been updated several times, using both HP and Intel drivers.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@z95pilot I suggest reverting to an earlier version of the BIOS, as it looks like there's a corruption somewhere causing the issue, the same can be resolved when the last known good version of the BIOS is installed on your device, here's what you need to do:

Click here to perform a hard reset on your device

If the issue persists, after the above steps, try the below:

1. Turn off the notebook.

2. Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.

3. With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

NOTE:

On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key  and the V key.

4. While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key  and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.

• If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your assistance. I have not tried what you have suggested yet, since I am not often using the HDMI port right now and the process seems like it might take a while. I am planning on trying it out soon, though, and will update once I have done so. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@z95pilot Alright, thanks for the update,

Let me know how that pans out once you're done, take care and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.