Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp envy 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There  are black lines running horizontally across the computer screen. I reseted the laptop already.

Also when I try to watch a video, the entire screen glitches and i have to shut the computer in order to make the glitch disappear.  Does anyone have any idea on how to fix it?
black lines.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Podno 

This is undoubtedly hardware -- so why would you think a reset, which is software only, would fix this?

Also, the screen glitching is most likely a CODEC issue -- since you are likely using Windows Media Player, which has really BAD CODEC support.

Try downloading and installing VLC player and seeing if that works.  You can get it from here:  https://www.videolan.org/index.html

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

It did not work. Lines are still there.

HP Recommended

@Podno 

Are the lines in the screenshot there all the time, or only when you play videos?

HP Recommended

It is there all the time. 

HP Recommended

@Podno 

OK, so that's NOT good news -- as it has nothing to do with either watching videos or what app you use to do that.

It's either a fault with the video chip or with the laptop screen, or both.  You need to hook up an external monitor to the laptop and if the lines appear there as well, then it is the video chip -- and those aren't replaceable as they are in desktops. If the lines do not appear, then it is the laptop screen -- but replacing that is difficult and very expensive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.