Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP OMEN Laptop 15t-en000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got back from a flight and I just found out my laptop (which was in its case of course) has a white mark on the screen and looks as if by bag was thrown or slammed down, and my laptop was damaged in the process. The mark is about an inch to an inch and a half (will show picture) and only shows up on a darker screen. What should I do? I think TSA is liable for any damages but I don't exactly know how much this can cost to fix. Thank you guys for any input

tsa1.jpgtsa1.jpgtsa2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@fromthesky 

I understand your concerns -- but the likelihood of you getting anything from TSA, realistically, is zero.  They are a Government Agency and you are facing a serious uphill battle trying to take legal action against them.  Basically, you would have to prove not only that they caused this damage, but also that the screen did not have this damage prior to the flight -- something I'm pretty sure you are not going to be able to document.

And, to make matters worse, this would be considered "accidental damage" and unless you bought extra insurance coverage through HP when you bought this, that is not covered by the standard warranty.  So, you would not be able to get HP to do a screen replacement for you.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@fromthesky 

I understand your concerns -- but the likelihood of you getting anything from TSA, realistically, is zero.  They are a Government Agency and you are facing a serious uphill battle trying to take legal action against them.  Basically, you would have to prove not only that they caused this damage, but also that the screen did not have this damage prior to the flight -- something I'm pretty sure you are not going to be able to document.

And, to make matters worse, this would be considered "accidental damage" and unless you bought extra insurance coverage through HP when you bought this, that is not covered by the standard warranty.  So, you would not be able to get HP to do a screen replacement for you.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I can see that happening. According to them, it would take up to 6 months to evaluate too. So ill just deal with it 😕 Thanks for your response 

HP Recommended

I learned a long time ago, don't put a laptop in my suitcase. Take it with me in the cabin.

TSA practically destroyed mine one time. Never again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.