Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-aw0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a very strange problem with a brand new HP Spectre x360 convertible. First time, I have spotted the problem, was when downloaded the Netflix app from M Store. After watching for a few minutes, screen starts flickering and even causes blue screen with an error(not all the time, but flickering is all the time, even if I download the show/movie): 

STOP CODE: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

What failed: igfkmdn64.sys

I brought my laptop to service and they told me that regarding hardware everything is OK and it might help out if I would re-install windows. I did, but the problem still persists. 

Fun fact is, that watching Netflix on browser causes no problems at all.

Has anyone, dealt with this problem and maybe have some fixes? Other than re-installing drivers, because I believe maybe that was done, while re-installing windows itself. 

P.S other problems also arise from apps from Microsoft Store. Spotify is also flickering sometimes(very rarely), VLC won't rotate when I rotate my laptop. I thought maybe there is some connection between all of them. Because if I would play on web, it would be OK. 

Thank you very much for you help,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Exactly the same. 

When I received the up-date, I was thinking whether its random or not.

But Netflix app have not crashed and screen flickering stopped ever since. 

Finally ! Thanks for supporting my post, I knew we will be OK at the end.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my Spectre x360 convertible. I just encountered this problem tonight while using the Netflix app from the Microsoft store and trying to watch a movie in full screen mode. This laptop isn't even two weeks old. This problem only happens when watching Netflix on the app. I continued watching Netflix in Chrome and didn't have any issues with the screen flickering.

The BIOS and all drivers are up to date. It was actually because of this issue that I installed the Intel Driver and Support Assistant so I could install the four drivers I needed, one of which was the latest update for the Intel Iris Plus Graphics. Just right now I tested Netflix again after doing all this and the screen immediately froze, went black, and continuously flickered not even 15 seconds after starting a show and going full screen. I had to restart my laptop just to come back and finish this response.

HP Recommended

Exactly. That why I was thinking that maybe Microsoft Store's apps might not be suitable for the new Spectre, since no error is recognized by HP assistant or anything. 

HP Recommended

I bought the Spectre x360 13-aw0xxx a week back and have been encountering the same issue. And the Movies and TV app pre installed on the device is also triggering the same screen issue. Initially I thought it was a problem with my device and contacted the HP support, but they were unable to figure it out. When anyone puts this amount in a laptop, we don't expect such issues to come up and specially when the company is also clueless of these.

HP Recommended

I guess that we have to wait for a new display drivers up-date, since there is troubleshooting in a lot of areas and I agree with you that it makes me regret decision to purchase this laptop as well.

But let's wait, maybe HP support will provide some answers for us. 

HP Recommended

Same error here. 

upgrade and downgrade the driver... nothing works.. No solution. i have the same new laptop hp Spectre x360 13-aw0xxx. Also this annoying error!. no supports from HP.

Also Dropbox is crash, something about opengl

HP Recommended

Keep waiting for some to answer or give any support. I spent a lot of money... 

We are writing in this forum hoping someone of hp support answer us.

HP Recommended

@rafariva When you post multiple times the time to respond to you get's delayed as the post reset's each time, posting multiple times may also send your post into the spam box, hence we don't recommend you do that!

That out of the way, here's what you need to know, if the issue is only with Netflix application, you need to contact Netflix for assistance, that said, if the issue occurs on other applications as well, try the below steps to resolve the issue:

• Press Windows key + R and type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
  • This will open the device manager, display all installed device driver list
  • Spot and expand the “Display adapters”.
  • Right, click on the Graphics card driver and select “Update Driver Software”.
  • When it prompts to choose an option How do you want to search driver, then go with Search automatically for updated driver software

Search automatically for Driver software

If you have a driver available on your PC, then select Browse my computer for driver software, then select the appropriate location, where the driver located on your PC for updating it. (Also Ensure that PC is connected to the Internet while performing this step)

Once this is done, restart the computer to check the problem fixed.

If it doesn’t fix the issue, then Right click on the same driver and select “Uninstall” then restart the system and let the system install the driver automatically on Start. Check and see if it resolve the issue.

If the issue persists, Modify PCI Express Power Management Settings:

Sometimes, Low power in CPU and graphics card can cause any types of problems. Especially laptop users, Recommended to “Leave your power settings to high performance”.  You can set high-performance power setting from the control panel, search for power options. When power options window opens click on show additional plans and select Radio button High performance.

If you don’t want to leave power settings to high performance but want to disable power saving for PCI express, You can follow these instructions.

• Open Control panel, Search and open power options
  • Here Click on Change plan settings next to the power plan you are currently
  • Now, Find PCI Express and expend it.
  • Then expend Link state power management.
  • Change the settings to off for plugged in and on battery option.
  • click on Apply and OK. then Restart your PC.

Modify PCI Express Power Management Settings

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

My graphic card driver was already updated. All my drivers and SO it is up to date. I don't think is just Netflix bug, because it happens just when I change my laptop in tablet mode. looks like when playing HD content the Intel Iris plus graphics doesn't have enough power to play this content in tablet mode ( i don't know why)
I already did your recommendation, but still having the same issue.
It's the same error as Capite3000 and syxxy. several customers, with the same laptop, and with the same error?? I don't think its a coincidence.

What else I can do?

also power option its not the same that yours

energia.PNG

HP Recommended

capita3000_0-1584954996358.png

Hi all,

I have even re-installed the whole Windows, just to make sure everything is correct, therefore uninstalling and installing display drivers are not solution.

Furthermore, my power options does not have the same outline. 

P.S I also updated to highest performance settings while using Netflix- does not help.

Please keep in mind, that screen flickering can occur my even browsing on the internet. Just some apps, especially Netflix, just crashes, but in general there is a feeling that drivers just does not work perfectly on this device. 

We are all waiting for solution,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.