Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17T

I just ordered the Envy 17t HP laptop. Can you please tell me which USB-C port supports output to a docking station? I read the tech specs but it seems confusing. From what I can tell, it won't be able to power the laptop at all, but I am hoping that I can connect to a docking station properly. Which USB-C port would I use, or does it matter? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Tele-man57 

There are few generations of HP Envy 17T and  many different models/products. What is yours ?  Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Thanks for reaching out. The real issue is I've been looking for a docking station, learning about USB-C alt mode and trying to anticipate what will work. The specs on HP's page confused me a bit. Here is a model number and a link for the unit that is on the way.

Envy Model: 8DV35AV_1

Link: https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-17t-best-value-8dv35av-1

Since posting, I discovered that I won't be able to power the laptop with the UBS-C connection. (Not the end of the world.) Will the Envy work with a universal dock? Will I be able to just plug in the USB-c cable and connect to my set up? Just wondering about the steps necessary to make a dock work with the Envy. It seems like you have to buy a dock and try it to see if it works. 

This will be a simple set up for my wife. HP Envy; Monitor, keyboard/mouse; external hard drive. Pretty basic. She may use her laptop monitor and there external monitor at the same time, or just the external. It's not a 4k, just a HD monitor. Any advise is appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.