Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
V28 4K Monitor - Part L86477-A Product 8WH58AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just purchased 4k monitor as above. Am using with a Microsoft Surface 3, connected by displayport. I have previously used the laptop in full 3840 x 2160 mode with an IIYAMA monitor in full HD, so I know the laptop can support it. But having downloaded and installed latest driver from HP website (showing as HP V28 4k LCD Monitor Driver  sp103585.exe), and rebooted several times, the best resolution available is 2560 x 1440. 

Can anyone help with how I can get full resolution, otherwise I will be returning the product.

Thanks

David

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Right-click the desktop, and then click Display settings or Screen resolution. If you have more than one display, click the image of the display you want to adjust. On the Resolution drop-down menu, select the desired resolution, and then click Keep changes, OK, or Apply.

HP Recommended

Just to add - I am using the surface laptop with docking station, which I believe enhances the graphic capability.

HP Recommended

Yes I have done that - the highest resolution available is as described - 2560 x 1440. 

I have also cleared the display cache in the docking station - no difference.

HP Recommended

@DMcilroy 

Your Microsoft Surface 3 machine has DisplayPort 1.1 which supports 4K at 30Hz.  You can only has 2560 x 1440 at 60Hz. You can reduce refresh rate to 30Hz and you should get 4K resolution.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhein, thanks for that. I had seen a table on a Microsoft support page saying that the surface 3 itself has max of 4k at 30Hz, but also saying that the dock (which I am using) can go to 60Hz at 4096 x 2304, which is higher than I need. However, I would be happy to try running (via the dock) at 30Hz if it let me have the full resolution. Unfortunately, going into the config for the display driver (HP V28 4k LCD Monitor Driver, file sp103585.exe) only allows options of either 60Hz or 59Hz. No apparent way of going to 30Hz.

Do you know if there is a different driver available for the monitor that would support 30Hz?

Thanks 

David

HP Recommended

@DMcilroy 

Please try

(a) Hold down win key and hit I,

(b) Select Display,

(c) Select Advanced Display Settings - You may be able to select 30Hz from there.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien, thanks for that. Advanced Display as below. Can't see anything with options for 30Hz - they all appear to be 60/59Hz...

DMcilroy_0-1602884396648.png

DMcilroy_1-1602884629889.png

DMcilroy_2-1602884957873.pngDMcilroy_3-1602885060851.png

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien. Thanks for comments so far. Anything further? I've been an IT professional for a long time, but was never an expert in device drivers. So - to summarise where I think I am:-

1. I know my laptop/dock can function with full 4k mode (3840 x 2160) - I have seen it work at my old employer with an Iiyama monitor.

2. Given that the Surface 3 (although not necessarily its dock) can only work in full 4k 3840 x 2160 mode at 30Hz not 60Hz, I need to find a way of running the screen interface at 30Hz. Not ideal, but as I am not a gamer, and am more interested in getting static information on the screen than fast video, potentially useable.

3.  Going with what I believe is the most up to date driver file (from HP - as above) for my Surface 3 with windows 10 as up to date as I can get it, it appears that the setup (presumably the driver file) is saying that I don't have any available options to go to 30 Hz.

So - my question is - do I have any remaining options to get things to work in 4k / 3840 x 2160 mode?  To ask the question - it would seem strange, but - could I use a non-HP (generic?) driver to run at 30 Hz and achieve what I want without causing other problems?

Any other advice / suggestions welcome. I'd be reluctant to return the product.

Thanks

David

The (I believe) most up to date HP driver file appear

HP Recommended

Just to close off this dialogue. I confirmed with HP official support that they do not supply a driver file for the monitor which will run at 30Hz in 4k resolution.  

I have now returned the monitor and replaced it with a Samsung one which needed no manipulation at startup, and set itself automatically to run at 3840 x 2160 30k. 

And it would have been nice to get a response from Banhien  to my final post on 20 October, even if the answer was No.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.