Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop 15-en0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

First time HP buyer, liked the fact that you're using Ryzens in these new OMENs and that they've generally been much better reviewed than 2018/2019 fiascos.

Received my laptop yesterday and since turning it on and installing Windows, I've been trying hard to fix this brightness always staying on max issue. I tried various potential solutions including turning off adjustable brightness (couldn't do it since such option simply did not exist on windows, image attached), tried disabling/enabling display and Generic PnP monitor drivers, scanning for hardware changes, using basic windows display driver, uninstalling and reinstalling all of said drivers, updating all drivers, updating BIOS, looked at some registry solution which should have allowed me to change brightness from 0 (screen off) to 100 (full brightness) according to guide, then some sort of CMD solution, troubleshooting power settings, which said that brightness has been optimized, but it didn't change at all and finally, fully clean reinstall of windows. 

img1.PNGimg2.PNG

Then tried another screen brightness registry tweak but it gave me this error:

img3.PNG

I took ownership of the registry key and changed it as well, but it has changed nothing.

With every solution I've tried, literally nothing changed. HP support tools say that laptop is operating normally and besides this one issue, it is. Sure I can use night light, which gives screen a yellowish hue and dims it, but that's about it. I want to be able to adjust the brightness since maximum brightness for extended periods of time causes eye strain. Is there any other option I possibly haven't tried? Should I look into third party tools of some manner?

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Bump

HP Recommended

@Brightnessissue You've gone through quite a lot of steps, that said, here's a few other things that should help,

If they don't do the trick, you could look for 3rd party solutions as well, although at your own discretion:

Enable adaptive brightness

1. Click Start and select Control Panel
  2. Select Power Options
    power options control panel Windows won’t let me adjust screen brightness
  3. Click the Change plan settings link next to your current power plan
    balanced power plan screen brightness not working windows 8
  4. Click Change advance power settings
    change advanced power settings how to adjust brightness in windows 7 pc
  5. In the new window click Display to open up the listings under it.
  6. Find and click each of the following…Display brightness, Dimmed display brightness and Enable adaptive brightness
  7. Change each of these to the desired settings
  8. Click Apply
  9. Click OK

Create a new user account and check if that helps, 

Also let me know if it works on safe mode, to identify if this is a conflicting software issue.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey @Riddle_Decipher, first of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond, it means a lot to me and I greatly appreciate it.

Second, I've tried your solution before of course, just apparently forgot to mention. Thing is, on neither balanced nor HP recommended nor newly created power plan the settings you described are there! I've seen this solution before online but these settings simply do not exist! Take a look at my screenshot:

result1.PNG

I'll try out new user account and safe mode options right away and report to you ASAP, thank you for taking your time to help, it's first time I'm dealing with HP tech, again bought this laptop because I've read many great reviews about upgraded cooling solution, improvements on hinge and frame design (as well as having no patience to wait for weeks for Legion 5s to finally come to my region, they're surely not rushing and one of my coworkers is looking into OMENs already too).

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher,

I've tried creating new user, it was same issue with brightness slider operating but not doing anything.

Next I've tried safe mode and it didn't even let me open the notifications panel, while in display settings, brightness bar was missing:

safe.PNGsafe2.PNG

Next I tried to boot in diagnostics mode, this time notifications bar opened, but I couldn't move brightness setting and it was greyed out:

diagnostic.png

HP Recommended

@Brightnessissue Since none of that has done the trick, I suggest you backup all personal data into an external storage device, and reset windows: click here for steps, and let me know how that pans out.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello @Riddle_Decipher,

As I've mentioned before, I've already done said reset. First of all, my computer came with pretty much pre-installed HP windows, when I plugged it in for the first time I had to do windows setup already. And when it was done, brightness setting wasn't working. I have done clean reset and chosen to remove all files and it has been completely reinstalled with only Windows files, some HP tools and other things that were bundled in like ExpressVPN, Dropbox something and McAfee malware (did a complete uninstall of it, sure now my computer uses less RAM and CPU on boot, but brightness still doesn't work)

Is there anything else that could be done? Maybe I should send my DxDiag for you? Or could this be some sort of HP version of Windows issue? I've read in that link you've given me that there's a cloud windows install option available, should I try that instead?

HP Recommended

@Brightnessissue Yes, if you know the brightness had been working previously (during first boot) and it doesn't anymore, please do attempt a cloud recovery using the link I had suggested earlier and let me know how that pans out, good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello. Thing is, I've already tried it and on my first install and boot which came pre-setup with my laptop brightness already didn't work. It never worked since I got it.

HP Recommended

@Brightnessissue That's quite strange, I suggest you update the BIOS using the HP support Assistant, and if nothing works, the back light may be faulty, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.