Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy

The cursor (the mouse) does not appear while I am in windows. This is the case both useing the synaptics trackpad and when connecting and using an external mouse, I have not pressed anything to disable the mouse or have not installed any updates for the laptops it just suddenly stopped working, I have attempted numerous solutions all of which not working including: deleting the uperlimits file, using windows updater and even dowloading drivers direct from HP only to have the error message that they are not supported even though my products serial number was provided.

I need this issue to be fixed soon.

Hope you can help

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jnb1303 Welcome to HP Community!

Try holding the CTRL key and check if that gets the cursor back, if it doesn't help, try the below steps:

Update the Mouse Driver to Fix the Missing Cursor in Windows 10
Since there's no mouse pointer and the mouse is not working, you can only process updating mouse driver with the keyboard:

1. Press Windows + R keys altogether to bring out the Run box.
2. Type devmgmt.msc and then hit Enter to open Device Manager.
mouse-cursor-disappearing-on-windows-10.png

3. Press Tab to switch to devices list.
4. Use arrow keys to scroll down to Mice and other pointing devices and use the right arrow key to expand it.

no-mouse-cursor-in-windows-10.png

5. Use the down arrow key to select your mouse device.
6. Press Shift + F10 open the context menu.
mouse-pointer-disappeared.png

7. Choose Update driver with arrow keys and hit Enter.
8. Follow the on-screen installation instructions to finish the updates and then check whether the lost cursor or mouse not working issue persists on your Windows 10 laptop or desktop PC.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, there is no mice and pointing devices tab showing up in the device manager as shown below: 

Screenshot 2019-12-05 21.21.40.pngScreenshot 2019-12-05 21.21.51.png

HP Recommended

@jnb1303 I suggest connecting an external mouse to your device and check if that works,

If it does, please Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

And perform the below steps to run a test on your device and identify the issue:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have connected an external mouse and had no different results, I proceeded to use the Hardware test as suggested with  full passes, I did also notice that the mouse was working perfectly when performing the tests but still does not work in windows 

HP Recommended

@jnb1303 If the issue only persists, within windows, you may want to create a new user account and check if that works, if that doesn't work either, please backup all personal data on an external storage and perform a system reset using the steps mentioned here,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.