Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello,

I updated my HP envy and was no longer able to adjust the brightness of my computer. After doing some searching on HP's website I started looking into display drivers, which I no longer seem to have on my laptop. I have tried to install all of the options available for my laptop via HP's website and nothing works. I paid $50 to get technical support from HP last night and after and hour and a half NO ONE could fix it. I not only want my money back but I want someone to fix my laptop. I will literally try anything at this point. 

Thanks for your help in advance. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

The product number can be found on the same label as the serial number.

Please do not post the serial number.

You posted that you are running W10 32 bit.

There would be no 32 bit graphics drivers for your model--I don't even need to know the model number to inform you of that.

HP Recommended

I don't have the model number with me right now. I am not sure the difference between the Windows 10, I just know that the last time it updated it was to Windows 10. Regardless, I no longer have an Display driver. Last night HP Technical Support tried to install an Intel High-Def Graphics Driver and then a NVIDIA Graphics Driver (Something I had already tried). Neither worked to fix the issue. The technical support agent (Maria) didn't seem to have any idea what else to do. If have no Display Drivers listed in the Device Manager and I can't adjust the Screen brightness via keyboard or by device settngs. Are there any other drivers that can be resinstalled? 

HP Recommended

Without knowing the full model number of the PC, I wouldn't be able to help you.

If your notebook has the Intel/Nvidia switchable graphics, either one of them missing the correct driver will not allow the PC to go into sleep mode, change the brightness (brightess will be stuck on max), screen resolution can't be adjusted to the optimal setting, and graphics acceleration will be disabled.

So after you can provide the PC model info, I see what I can do to help.

HP Recommended

Product number: L4R36AV

I also have an open case number: 5030343311

Is there anyway I can call you directly? You are the first person who seems to know what the issue is.

THank you. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't work for or represent HP.

I only work via the forum and also do not do remote sessions.

OK, so the product number you posted does not reveal any decent info at all.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=L4R36AV

So, we are going to try and figure this problem out the hard way.

What model Intel processor does your notebook have (such as i5-5000, or i3-6200, etc.)?

First, please go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device manager category.

Please post what you see there.

If your notebook has the Intel/Nvidia graphics switchable graphics, there should be two graphics adapters listed there.

One nvidia and one Intel

If the drivers are missing, then either one or both of those will be labeled as a Microsoft basic display adapter.

Then please post the hardware ID's for both of these devices, or if there is just one display adapter listed, post that one.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Hi! So i’m running on i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40 GHz. When I got to display adapters I have the: NVIDIA GeForce 940M listed but that is all. I just sat on the phone with HP again for 2 hours and they tried to install the HD Intel Display Driver from the website and it doesn't work. I am just not sure what else to do.. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is not good news.

Sounds to me like the Intel GPU has failed--a hardware problem which would involve replacing the motherboard, and that would be a very expensive repair.  Better to buy a new notebook.

It is either that, or a major Windows problem, but I'm thinking it is the former.

If the driver was missing, the Intel GPU would be listed along with the nVidia GPU, but would be labeled as a Microsoft Basic Display adapter.

Here are the two suggestions I recommend...

1. Perform a forced reset of the notebook.  See this link for how to do that.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/

2.  If that fails to get the Intel graphics adapter to appear, then try reinstalling W10.

Back up any files you don't want to lose before doing that.

Turn on the PC, tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F11 recovery option and factory reset the PC.

If that doesn't get both GPU's to show up, then the Intel GPU has died on you.

HP Recommended

Wow. I really can't afford either of the options we have going on here. I have already tried a force reset, it did not solve the issue. I also tried to recover my laptop to the state it was in prior to the update and that did not help either. I guess not I can try reinstalling Windows 10 and see what happens. If neither of these work is it necessary to replace the laptop right away? Should I be anticipating other issues to arise soon? Thank you so much for your help on this. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

As long as you can live with the status quo, I suppose you can use the notebook indefinitely like that.

It's hard to say what other issues if any, could crop up in the near future.

A lot of electrical components are like light bulbs.

You rarely get a warning that a light bulb is going to quit working.

The same can be said for electrical components.

They work fine until one day you turn the PC on, and then they don't.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.