Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Dears,

I have the same problem - cannot adjust my screen brightness. I have an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-4103dn with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @2.50GHz (4 CPUs) processor.

I have followed all the instructions in this thread and also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the display driver from the Device Manager but still cannot adjust the brightness (neither with the brightness buttons nor from the notification center).

Please help!!!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@GH_MHA I recommend updating the BIOS, Chipset and graphics card drivers using the HP support assistant: click here for details,

if the issue persists, please create a new user account and check if that works:

1. Sign in to an administrator account, and then make sure the computer is connected to the Internet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Manage your account. You can also click Start , select Settings , and then select Accounts.

Selecting Accounts on the Windows Settings home screen

3. On the Accounts window, select Family & other users, and then click Add someone else to this PC.

Selecting Add someone else to this PC

4. On the How will this person sign in? screen, choose an option depending on whether you have the sign-in information for the new account.

• If you have the sign-in information: Type the email address or phone number of the person for whom the new account is being set up, and then click Next. Click Finish. The new account is created.

• If you do not have the sign-in information: Click I don't have this person's sign-in information, and then continue with these steps.

Selecting how the person signs in to the computer

5. Type an existing email address or create a new one, type a password, select your country or region, select your birth date information, and then click Next to create a new Microsoft account (MSA).

NOTE: 

If you do not wish to create a new MSA, select Add a user without a Microsoft account, and then create a user name and password for a new local account.

Typing the email address of the person you want to add, or create a new MSA account

6. Type the user name of the person for whom the new account is being set up. Type a password in the Enter password field, then type it again in the Re-enter password field. Next, choose a security question from the Security question 1 field and type your answer in the Your answer field. Do this again for the two remaining security questions. Click Next. The new account is created.

Create an account for this PC

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Decipher,

Thanks for the proposed solutions in your earlier post. I have tried both suggestions - i.e. updating BIOS and adding a new user with administrator rights - but none has worked so far.

My screen brightness still cannot be adjusted. What should I do?

Just for ease of reference my laptop is a HP Spectre x360 Convertible - 13-4103dx with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @2.50GHz (4 CPUs) processor.

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

@GH_MHA I appreciate the details, and suggest you try the below steps:

Before you start, make sure your monitor/laptop has been on for at least half an hour, so it's warmed up properly, and clean your monitor.

1. Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings

2. Click "Advanced display settings" at the bottom of the settings window.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this related post all the issues should be resolved though it has a different header)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am sorry, I have tried the current solution of colour calibration and that too didn't work.

Now I don't know what else to do. I do have the most updated/current display drivers - Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 - for my laptop but still cannot adjust the brightness of the display.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@GH_MHA If you were able to adjust the brightness before and it isn't working anymore, I suggest you run an extensive hardware test to be on the safer side and identify the issue:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.