Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp-15r006tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just reinstalled windows on my device . And i notice that it doesn't detect the dedicated graphics card i have , nvidia geforce gtx 820m . The drivers from hp or nvidia sites do not install (incompatible error is displayed). Device manager doesn't detect it either . In display graphics it only shows the integrated intel one. In other devices however there is a 3d video controller with an exclaimation mark.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

The device labeled as a 3D Video Controller is the NVIDIA GeForce 820M graphics adapter in need of a driver.

This would be the driver you need.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72727.exe 

If for some reason the driver is not installing after you ran the file, see if this works...

Go to the device manager.  Click on the 3D Video Controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the 'Browse my computer for drivers' option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp72727.

Make sure that the Include subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. Sadly, even on second method it's saying that it was unable to find drivers for the device (and i included subfolders too)

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I am stumped!

Please post the hardware ID for the 3D video controller so I can confirm what model graphics adapter is is.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device...

How to Find Drivers for Unknown Devices in the Device Manager (howtogeek.com)

HP Recommended

sorry for the very very late reply i didnt get the notification for the email for some reason.

these are the hardware ids

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1140&SUBSYS_220D103C&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1140&SUBSYS_220D103C
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1140&CC_030200
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1140&CC_0302

i believe the last two are related to the 820m graphics card

HP Recommended

Hi:

That's OK.   Sometimes the e-mail notification system has a glitch.

I checked the hardware ID you posted against what hardware ID's the driver setup information file works for and yours is not listed.

So, now we at least know why the driver won't install.

The bad news is, I don't know where you will find a driver that has support for the hardware ID your nvidia graphics adapter has. 

Somehow the device may have become misidentified.  I don't know how to fix that.

You could go into the driver setup information file and modify a string that matches the one yours has.

It is off by one number.

You can also see if the driver from Nividia works.

Download NVIDIA, GeForce, Quadro, and Tesla Drivers

In the driver file I first gave you, there is this hardware ID...

%NVIDIA_DEV.1140.220E.103C% = Section007, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1140&SUBSYS_220E103C

You could try changing that string to:

%NVIDIA_DEV.1140.220D.103C% = Section007, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1140&SUBSYS_220D103C, and see if the driver installs.

You would find that ID in this location that was created when you ran the driver:

C:\SWSetup\sp72727\Display Driver\Win10x64\nvhm setup information text file.

HP Recommended

i tried to find the file to change the hardware id but i didn't find anything in the sp72727 folder. So i tried to install the driver again and i recall that this was the error message i got when i tried to install it the first time too, which is unable to read contents of the package , the file seems to have been corrupted , please verify integrity of the file and try again. Problem is this was the same error message i got no matter how many times i downloaded the driver. (this all pertains to the driver you linked  me which is available on hp's website . the drivers from nvidia's site gave the incompatible message i mentioned in one of the earlier comments.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The file is there...see my screenshots below...

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1643035245809.pngPaul_Tikkanen_1-1643035272106.pngPaul_Tikkanen_2-1643035314024.pngPaul_Tikkanen_3-1643035369967.png

If changing the hardware ID doesn't resolve the problem, unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

Something has happened to your notebook nvidia GPU that is probably not fixable.

HP Recommended

so i tried to extract the exe using 7zip but it seems that no matter how i download the file tends to be corrupt . i have no idea why.

also just speculation , this machine came out in 2014 when i had windows 8.1{it wasnt preinstalled the local retailer installed it for me) on it. i didnt upgrade until very late and when i had upgraded i didnt notice about it , could it be that the driver was designed only till windows 8 devices? or at least the hp one?

HP Recommended

I had no problem using 7-zip to extract that file without errors.

Perhaps you may want to try reinstalling W8.1 if you have a license/key for it.

You would want to rule out any windows OS/registry issues.

I see that your notebook came with FreeDOS, so you would have needed to have a valid W8.1 product key.

If you still can't install the driver in W8.1 then the GPU must have failed and why the hardware ID got changed, I have no idea.

That is like trying to change your fingerprint.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.